Port scanning and what to do with it

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Port scanning and what to do with it

Post by bobbymccooscoos on Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:58 pm
([msg=46922]see Port scanning and what to do with it[/msg])

Hi,
I recently found out about port scanning and I am wondering lets say that I found out that someones port was opened (I found that a friend had port 8080 opened) so now what can I do. Also, What should he do to prevent me from doing that?
thanks.
bobbymccooscoos
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Port scanning and what to do with it

Post by Goatboy on Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:07 pm
([msg=46923]see Re: Port scanning and what to do with it[/msg])

Generally - assuming you don't already have access - you would find out what service+version is running, find/discover a vulnerability, and then exploit it. It sounds easy in writing, but it's not always that simple. You also have to be cautious of any IDS (Intrusion Detection System) or IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) that may be running. After all, what's it worth if you get caught?

After that, you pretty much do what you want. If you're after specific information, it's best to just grab it, cover your tracks, and leave. However, maybe you want access to the machine to use it as an attack platform. In this case, you need to create yourself a nice little backdoor. This is so you don't have to run the exploit each time, or risk it getting patched.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:06 pm
([msg=46926]see Re: Port scanning and what to do with it[/msg])

Goatboy (Like usual xD) gave a million dollar reply.

If you're feeling up to it, read about the protocol it's running, and write some code to poke around for some fun.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Avery17 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:57 pm
([msg=46998]see Re: Port scanning and what to do with it[/msg])

Just wanna put out there real quick that port 8080 is the same as port 80 which is useless. It's pretty much open on all machines and is just used for http and web services.
Avery17
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Goatboy on Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:17 am
([msg=47128]see Re: Port scanning and what to do with it[/msg])

Avery17 wrote:Just wanna put out there real quick that port 8080 is the same as port 80 which is useless. It's pretty much open on all machines and is just used for http and web services.

wat

That's not even close to being right. The port does not decide what is running on it. A port is just a number used to organize incoming packets. I could set SSH to run on port 80, and DNS to run on 8080. Moreover, port 8080 is more generally used for a proxy than anything. And tell me, how is HTTP useless? Without web pages, half the missions here would not be possible.

And it's not "pretty much open on all machines" because I know for a fact that ~93% of the market share for desktop computers is running some form of Windows, and most of those (XP, Vista, 7, etc.) do not run HTTP by default.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by IncandescentLight on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:09 am
([msg=49126]see Re: Port scanning and what to do with it[/msg])

That's why when you scan, using a port scanner such as NMap, you are searching for the port number and daemon(service). If the machine is running an outdated or exploitable service you can find the exploit on sites such as http://www.exploit-db.com. Or, if you are a script kiddie, you can go for good old metasploit. You can actually create your own exploits on that platform. If you know ruby, I can introduce you to Ronin to write exploits.
Speak softly and carry a big stick -Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.rhetoricalcatch.blogspot.com
IncandescentLight
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:47 am
([msg=49128]see Re: Port scanning and what to do with it[/msg])

I've found 8080 to be most often, router web admin login, whereas 80, is often personal or small business webserver running behind the router. Either way, don't assume that any port is running the standard protocol for that port. Beware port scans that result in an abnormal amount of open ports, is likely a honeypot.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Networking