Help defending from a hacker

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Re: Help defending from a hacker

Post by vietred on Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:41 pm
([msg=47252]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

Why don't you try Linux? Since I use Linux, I don't have any problem with virus :).
P/s: I'm using fedora 13 and windows XP (only for gaming)
vietred
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Viruses...

Post by fabianhjr on Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:32 pm
([msg=47258]see Viruses...[/msg])

...this ain't a topic about them.

This topic is about countermeasures to diverse attack vectors a cracker/skiddie/blackhat/greyhat could exploit.
So far we talked about Address Resolution Protocol Poison Routing.
Someone Mentioned the HTTP over SSL(https) as a defence against eavesdropping.
Antimalware and malware were already mentioned.

Now, lets hear more defences and attack vectors.
Donate bitcoins to me! [1DhRP3hHgmSLQdRTZyT8VPTmzAj7Z2rsGA]
Dunno what bitcoins are? BitcoinMe
fabianhjr
Poster
Poster

Post by noobxl on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:36 pm
([msg=60258]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

noob question + troll:
since that this forum doesn't support https, does that mean my little brother next room can use this wireshark program he showed me last day to see my online account?
noobxl
New User
New User

Post by Phantom Wolf on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:55 pm
([msg=60259]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

noobxl wrote:noob question + troll:
since that this forum doesn't support https, does that mean my little brother next room can use this wireshark program he showed me last day to see my online account?

First off, this thread is a year old. HTS is a hacking community, not an army of the undead.

The short answer to your question: yes. The right answer: potentially.

It depends on how your network is set up. If your wireless then there's a good chance he could get your login information, especially if your wireless is unencrypted. If your wired, then his chances are considerably smaller. This is because of the way wireless networking works (everything sent over the network is literally broadcasted out for anyone to see)
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by fabianhjr on Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:12 pm
([msg=60778]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

Phantom Wolf wrote:
noobxl wrote:noob question + troll:

It depends on how your network is set up. If your wireless then there's a good chance he could get your login information, especially if your wireless is unencrypted. If your wired, then his chances are considerably smaller. This is because of the way wireless networking works (everything sent over the network is literally broadcasted out for anyone to see)

SSH Tunnels to a secure location/VPNs
You must not depend on any site to protect you.
Donate bitcoins to me! [1DhRP3hHgmSLQdRTZyT8VPTmzAj7Z2rsGA]
Dunno what bitcoins are? BitcoinMe
fabianhjr
Poster
Poster

Post by scnguitar on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:42 pm
([msg=61813]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

As far as AVs, I don't rely on them at all. I UAC file+registry permissions, since most attacks are linked to NT AUTHORITY\LocalSystem (as opposed to NT AUTHORITY\LocalService) since programs always get greedy with permissions. A multiple group+account system would work nicely.
scnguitar
New User
New User

Post by tremor77 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:08 pm
([msg=61859]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:I can't possibly imagine NOT having an anti-virus. Even with common sense, it would be VERY hard to stay away from malicious ads/websites.

Indeed - Hell, I moused over one of the Kontera ads right here on HTS with a flash video and it tried to install Windows Defender 2012 (Known malware/fake AV) -- luckily my Avast web scanner was like.. wtfyohomeslice - this site is trying to install some shit onto your computer... I would have never noticed it because it fired off in a pop-down window that was sized at like 1px by 1px... and I had like a ton of pronz open in other windows.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by VPR3 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:08 pm
([msg=61898]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

I go virtual, no access to hard drives so if any malware or virus sneaks in its destroyed on shutdown or whenever I reboot.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:32 pm
([msg=61899]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

VPR3 wrote:I go virtual, no access to hard drives so if any malware or virus sneaks in its destroyed on shutdown or whenever I reboot.

You mean it's destroyed if you re-install your virtual system? If you use a VM and it gets infected but you continue to use it and enter passwords you're still fucked.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by VPR3 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:22 pm
([msg=61903]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:
VPR3 wrote:I go virtual, no access to hard drives so if any malware or virus sneaks in its destroyed on shutdown or whenever I reboot.

You mean it's destroyed if you re-install your virtual system? If you use a VM and it gets infected but you continue to use it and enter passwords you're still fucked.

Well yes and no, I sometimes run it through a VM but mostly I will just boot the OS. Any would be virus is stored in ram and everything is destroyed on reboot or shutdown. And I'll do that pretty frequently depending on what I'm doing.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Networking