Help defending from a hacker

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Re: Help defending from a hacker

Post by mShred on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:49 pm
([msg=61906]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

VPR3 wrote:
fashizzlepop wrote:Well yes and no, I sometimes run it through a VM but mostly I will just boot the OS. Any would be virus is stored in ram and everything is destroyed on reboot or shutdown. And I'll do that pretty frequently depending on what I'm doing.

Do you mean a LiveCD? Otherwise, I'm not sure how restarting an OS will get rid of anything. It's called persistent storage for a reason..

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by VPR3 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:25 pm
([msg=61908]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

mShred wrote:
VPR3 wrote:
fashizzlepop wrote:<BR>Well yes and no, I sometimes run it through a VM but mostly I will just boot the OS. Any would be virus is stored in ram and everything is destroyed on reboot or shutdown. And I'll do that pretty frequently depending on what I'm doing.
<BR>Do you mean a LiveCD? Otherwise, I'm not sure how restarting an OS will get rid of anything. It's called persistent storage for a reason..

Its a live CD but the OS has no storage capability and no hard disk access. Other than ram it has no way to store anything.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:10 am
([msg=61914]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

So you're booting a Live CD every time? And you're removing all rights to mount drives? Because just because it's a live CD doesn't mean you're invulnerable. Just trying to clarify. Tbh, a vm with DeepFreeze like software would be best.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by VPR3 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:46 pm
([msg=61929]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:So you're booting a Live CD every time? And you're removing all rights to mount drives? Because just because it's a live CD doesn't mean you're invulnerable. Just trying to clarify. Tbh, a vm with DeepFreeze like software would be best.

That's the nice thing about it. Nothing is installed and no drives are mounted. If you get anything nasty it will live for as long as you running that current session so you can still be screwed. But if you suspect something just a quick reboot and your clean.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Previous

Return to Networking