Help defending from a hacker

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Help defending from a hacker

Post by bobbymccooscoos on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:54 am
([msg=46190]see Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

Hi,
I have a friend in my dorm who knows a lot about hacking (at least relative to me). And he already once did ARP poisoning. So, since he is my friend I don't have that much to worry about but I am just wondering is there anything that I can do / download in order to make the computer safer?

ps. In the dorm there is an unsecured wifi available for all of us.
pps. I have Windows 7.
bobbymccooscoos
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Help defending from a hacker

Post by cilpolir on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:21 am
([msg=46191]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

The best thing to do always, even if you know there is nobody on your network. ALWAYS login with "https", most sites allow that.And by doing this, someone who's doing a Mitm-attack still doesn't know your login credentials. :mrgreen:
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:33 am
([msg=46192]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

are you connecting using the unsecured wifi or do you have the option to connect hardwired? The quickest and easiest way to protect yourself is to use a hardwired connection and slap a hardware firewall on it then connect to that either wired or wirelessly. not only would that improve your security but it would be hella faster bandwidth wise, with all those noobers connecting to the wifi.. downloading good pronz would be slow as balls. If you have to use the wifi, then ZoneAlarm could help, it's better than windows firewall... but you're on an open wifi so, is h@x0r paradise..

there are some other options but, it would require bringing you up to speed beyond what your tech level seems to be at this point.. and I can't do that in one post.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by f1r3flie on Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:32 am
([msg=46898]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

If you're running Windows, and you care in the slightest about your security and/or privacy, you should already have a firewall (hardware or software) plus an antivirus (I use Norton Internet Security). If you don't want to shell out for a paid firewall (torrenting it is extremely frustrating, as you need to regularly download the latest virus registries), Bullguard works well and is easy to use.

You really need to get a firewall and antivirus regardless of the network you are using f you're on the internet and running Windows.
sanddbox wrote:TLDR: It will get better in the next 1000 posts or so.

My Operating Systems:
Ubuntu 10.10
Windows Vista
Mac OS X hackintosh
Backtrack 4
Ubuntu Server 9.04
Xubuntu 10.04
Windows XP
Backtrack 2
Ubuntu Server 9.10
f1r3flie
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:03 am
([msg=46903]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

Personally I'd say an antivirus isn't really necessary, as long as you possess come common sense, you probably won't run into many viruses. Personally, I'd say its not worth the money. And, if you're really suspicious about files, there are sites that you can upload them to, and they will scan it for you, probably not the best method for large files, but malware tend to be small applications as it is.

As was already suggested, use HTTPS as often as you can. Firewalls will certainly help, but like what was already said, an unsecured, open wi-fi is heaven for hackers.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by fabianhjr on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:51 am
([msg=46906]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

To prevent and detect APR(A(dress Resolution Protocol) P(oison) R(outing)) the best approach is to use something like:
Other approach is to use Wireshark.(To see all traffic send by/to you) Read the documentation and filter all packets so that wireshark only shows you ARP packets.

I agree with insomaniacal, "Don't Panic"
Donate bitcoins to me! [1DhRP3hHgmSLQdRTZyT8VPTmzAj7Z2rsGA]
Dunno what bitcoins are? BitcoinMe
fabianhjr
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:52 pm
([msg=47035]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:Personally I'd say an antivirus isn't really necessary, as long as you possess come common sense, you probably won't run into many viruses.

I hope that was a joke...

Everyone on Windows NEEDS some sort of Anti-Virus. At least a free one like AVG, Avira, or Avast.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by insomaniacal on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:30 pm
([msg=47050]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:
insomaniacal wrote:Personally I'd say an antivirus isn't really necessary, as long as you possess come common sense, you probably won't run into many viruses.

I hope that was a joke...

Everyone on Windows NEEDS some sort of Anti-Virus. At least a free one like AVG, Avira, or Avast.

I'm totally serious. Common Sense and keeping stuff patched is more than enough 99% of the time. Sure, scanning everything might help, but it's certainly not necessary.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:21 am
([msg=47220]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

I can't possibly imagine NOT having an anti-virus. Even with common sense, it would be VERY hard to stay away from malicious ads/websites.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by george7194 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:25 am
([msg=47222]see Re: Help defending from a hacker[/msg])

I cant stay away from malicious sites, no matter how hard i try. Avg helps
george7194
New User
New User

Next

Return to Networking