What to do with someones IP?

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Re: What to do with someones IP?

Post by iistapp on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:54 am
([msg=36666]see Re: What to do with someones IP?[/msg])

Oooh.. Doh, thought that was DOSing, but I suppose it's the same thing.

So you can get the phone number for people, or was that for a domain owner?

Thanks for all the replys and information :)
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by viper2069 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:44 am
([msg=37021]see Re: What to do with someones IP?[/msg])

you could use nMap and get the open ports then use telnet o to connect to them..old school but if its your friend and you two are just messing go ahead and try it out
viper2069
New User
New User

Post by ChaosXIII on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 am
([msg=37064]see Re: What to do with someones IP?[/msg])

Was your friend on a local network at the time? If so then you saw his local IP not his real IP. With a real IP you could do some fair damage. For example;
(not going into specifics, i could if asked but i don't want to go against terms of use)
Use a vulnerability scanner such as Nessus on the IP and find something that is exploitable. Maybe if you know that, for example, runs windows XP but he doesn't update. You could narrow your search down a lot.
Choose the vulnerability that , well, seems most vulnerable and start up your exploiting program. Such as MetaSploit. Exploit it and have fun with payloads. Such as VNC payloads, you take direct control of their PC.

That's just a few that come to mind right now. Sorry if i violated the terms of use :<
ChaosXIII
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:36 pm
([msg=37092]see Re: What to do with someones IP?[/msg])

ChaosXIII wrote:Was your friend on a local network at the time? If so then you saw his local IP not his real IP. With a real IP you could do some limited damage. For example;
(not going into specifics, i couldn't if asked)
Use a vulnerability scanner such as Nessus on the IP and find something that is exploitable. Maybe if you know that, for example, runs windows XP but he doesn't update. You could narrow your search down a lotsmall amount.
Choose the vulnerability that , well, seems most vulnerable and start up your script kiddie hax program. Such as MetaSploit. Exploit it and have fun, albeit skiddie-tainted fun, with payloads. Such as VNC payloads, you take direct control of their PC.

That's just a few that come to mind right now. Sorry if my sentences had terrible punctuation

Fixed.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by shaqywacky on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:04 pm
([msg=37095]see Re: What to do with someones IP?[/msg])

you could use nMap and get the open ports then use telnet o to connect to them..old school but if its your friend and you two are just messing go ahead and try it out

That doesn't make much sense, how would you telnet into ports that aren't expecting telnet. Unless you're planning on writing the headers and the exploit in the telnet terminal manually (which is retarded), its not going to work.

Telnet is a protocol just like every other protocol, and uses its own port(23). Telnet is just a remote terminal protocol, but there must be a telnet service running on the other end for you to telnet into anything.

Was your friend on a local network at the time? If so then you saw his local IP not his real IP. With a real IP you could do some fair damage. For example;
(not going into specifics, i could if asked but i don't want to go against terms of use)
Use a vulnerability scanner
such as Nessus on the IP and find something that is exploitable. Maybe if you know that, for example, runs windows XP
but he doesn't update. You could narrow your search down a lot.
Choose the vulnerability that , well, seems most vulnerable and start up your exploiting program. Such as MetaSploit. Exploit it and have fun with payloads. Such as VNC
payloads, you take direct control of their PC.

That's just a few that come to mind right now. Sorry if i violated the terms of use :<

I agree with sandbox, that was one of the skiddyest/ignorant posts I read in a while.

You talk about local IP and real IP, but really hosts only have one IP(per NIC). I assume by "local IP" you mean the private IP address, which is what you would use if you were on the local network. And by "Real IP" you mean the outside global IP, which if you're on the local network, theres nothing stupider than trying to connect to a computer on the same local network with that IP address(assuming NAT, and basically everyone is using NAT). If they are using NAT, then that IP is almost useless.

If someone is interested in why what he said makes no sense, just read about NAT and it'll become obvious very fast.
shaqywacky
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by ChaosXIII on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:57 pm
([msg=37097]see Re: What to do with someones IP?[/msg])

Well yes. I guess i did use terrible punctuation. And I did mention a program that is a script kiddies wet dream. I am sorry that i was trying to keep it simple for the poster. And yes that is what i was referring to when i used the term "real IP address". I do know that the local address would be incredibly useless in attempting to do anything at all outside of the local network. That is why i asked was he on a local network at the time. He talked about file sharing so i thought that he could be on a local network so i put it out here that the address obtained from that would not be useful.

I never said that i am an elite hacker. I don't know why you had to attack what i said completely. It was very possible to be polite about it.

But It is done and i don't want to make enemies with either of you. I am sorry that the post was a tad bit ignorant.
Don't want to argue with you guys and create tension. I'd like to think of everyone on here as my friend.

I know that Metasploit is incredibly noobish. I have not done much research into exploiting to be honest. What would be more preferable over metasploit?
Last edited by ChaosXIII on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChaosXIII
New User
New User

Post by iistapp on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:12 pm
([msg=37098]see Re: What to do with someones IP?[/msg])

Thanks a lot for all the info, I've done some reading and will keep on reading and try out some of thoes programs and see what I can work out :) And no, we weren't on a local network. Uhm, yea well, thanks again :) You guys are quite a lot of help for me! :)
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:18 pm
([msg=37099]see Re: What to do with someones IP?[/msg])

ChaosXIII wrote:Well yes. I guess i did use terrible punctuation. And I did mention a program that is a script kiddies wet dream. I am sorry that i was trying to keep it simple for the poster. And yes that is what i was referring to when i used the term "real IP address". I do know that the local address would be incredibly useless in attempting to do anything at all outside of the local network. That is why i asked was he on a local network at the time. He talked about file sharing so i thought that he could be on a local network so i put it out here that the address obtained from that would not be useful.

I never said that i am an elite hacker. I don't know why you had to attack what i said completely. It was very possible to be polite about it.

But It is done and i don't want to make enemies with either of you. I am sorry that the post was a tad bit ignorant.
Don't want to argue with you guys and create tension. I'd like to think of everyone on here as my friend.

I know that Metasploit is incredibly noobish. I have not done much research in exploiting to be honest. What would be more preferable over metasploit?

You have it the other way around. Using the real IP address would be pointless if it was on a local network.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by ChaosXIII on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:22 pm
([msg=37100]see Re: What to do with someones IP?[/msg])

True i guess it would be rather useless. But the local address such as 192.168.0.3 for example would be very useless remotely. right?
ChaosXIII
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:23 pm
([msg=37101]see Re: What to do with someones IP?[/msg])

ChaosXIII wrote:True i guess it would be rather useless. But the local address such as 192.168.0.3 for example would be very useless remotely. right?

Correct - a private address only applies to a network.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Networking