Help With Wireless...

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Help With Wireless...

Post by sandsphinx on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:10 pm
([msg=26457]see Help With Wireless...[/msg])

Heya guys, i have just set up my internet modem with LAN, and i am trying to connect a router for wireless, through the modem into the pc, now i have done that and the lights on the front of the router are all on. I am stuck because it wont let me connect to the internet when it is in the router. Can you give me a list of things that i should check.

For info purposes, i am using Windows Vista, The minimum specs are are fine, my modem is fine, i can get internet when i am connected via LAN, and any other info please ask...

thanks
sandsphinx
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Help With Wireless...

Post by smithmetal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:24 pm
([msg=26458]see Re: Help With Wireless...[/msg])

Does your PC`s network card support wireless connection ? If so, can you at least connect to the router (you can test it by entering ipconfig in the command prompt and check for the default geteway, it should be something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) ? Does you router broadcast its SSID ?

Try to be a bit more specific on you're actual problem. Normally when you buy a router, it comes with a detailled step by step procedure to install and configure your material. This link might help you even if they use XP as OS http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx
smithmetal
New User
New User

Post by sandsphinx on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:33 am
([msg=26502]see Re: Help With Wireless...[/msg])

I tried to Ping in the Cmd, to make sure that there is a signal to the router, but it said that it "timedout."
I checked the IP, Gateway, And Submask, isnt it? And they were all 0.0.0.0??? That is the problem i guess, but i never use Vista, and i have no idea how to change the IP, damn. Might as well admit defeat, watch what the local computer technician does, and learn from him, this time....
sandsphinx
Poster
Poster

Post by heitarosd on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:38 am
([msg=28401]see Re: Help With Wireless...[/msg])

send to us the specifc model of your router.
i'm brazilian and know vista menus in portuguese but i think that it may be similar.

go to start>network>center of sharing and network>"in left side"config a network conection or adapter

so a window simmilar with the windows xp will open then you can configure your network adapter

when i configure a router i prefer use a lan cable to configure it most of routers have a lan interface that seems a hub
that you can use to acces and configure it.
heitarosd
New User
New User

Post by iiapoxii on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:38 pm
([msg=28828]see Re: Help With Wireless...[/msg])

2 things. First, is this the first time setting up the modem and router with your ISP? if so, you need to call your ISP and give them the MAC address so they can let you in the firewall.

Secondly, for the initial setup, you have to be wired to the router. be sure to run the cd it came with too... otherwise, take it back and get another.

again, whats the make and model of the router you have?
iiapoxii
New User
New User

Return to Networking