Best way to set up a home server?

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Best way to set up a home server?

Post by ph4nt0m on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:15 pm
([msg=25441]see Best way to set up a home server?[/msg])

I just bought an old dell to experiment with. I installed Arch Linux and Slackware on separate hardrives just to mess around with, but I have another HD I want to set up a server on. What is the best way to go about setting up a home server on windows? I've heard of wamp, but I was thinking about just getting either ubuntu server edition or windows. Any thoughts?
ph4nt0m
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Best way to set up a home server?

Post by mischief on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:25 pm
([msg=25442]see Re: Best way to set up a home server?[/msg])

personally i would suggest running debian, but i am completely biased towards debian :P
it's a good solid distro, but there are other choices out there like CentOS.

with debian, it'll be fairly easy to get a webserver going because of the ease of package management. :)
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by ph4nt0m on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:28 pm
([msg=25443]see Re: Best way to set up a home server?[/msg])

mischief wrote:personally i would suggest running debian, but i am completely biased towards debian :P
it's a good solid distro, but there are other choices out there like CentOS.

with debian, it'll be fairly easy to get a webserver going because of the ease of package management. :)

Alright, thanks. By Debian do you mean Debian itself or Debian based distros? Because I have no experience with Debian besides Ubuntu.
ph4nt0m
New User
New User

Post by mischief on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:35 pm
([msg=25444]see Re: Best way to set up a home server?[/msg])

i mean debian, as in http://www.debian.org/ =)

you can use ubuntu too i suppose, but debian is personal preference. if you need any help you can ask here, or you can usually get some help on irc.freenode.net #debian if you ask your questions correctly.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by mathisen99 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
([msg=29966]see Re: Best way to set up a home server?[/msg])

my vote goes on debian to ... APT is in my opinion the best command out there :)
if you want to get a litle more advanced try " gentoo " nice packet manager there to and you can get the system pretty mutch exatly as you want ... Be ware it will take time to install everything sense everything will be compiled all the time ...
mathisen99
New User
New User

Post by bartuuin on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:13 pm
([msg=30776]see Re: Best way to set up a home server?[/msg])

Use all the security features of not only the file system but also the security features of the operating system.Also set each individual user up with specific privileges.Set it up with a balance of security and reliability.In my oppion after your done setting the server up experiment with the security to better understand it and to learn how to patch the security holes.
bartuuin
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:52 pm
([msg=30779]see Re: Best way to set up a home server?[/msg])

Remember, if it's a server you don't want any GUI stuff on there at all. That makes it unstable for no good reason.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by faazshift on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:23 pm
([msg=30781]see Re: Best way to set up a home server?[/msg])

I definitely prefer gentoo, but it does take more maintenance and such, so ubuntu (or maybe even googles recently publicized chromeOS) is probably plenty sufficient.

thedotmaster wrote:Remember, if it's a server you don't want any GUI stuff on there at all. That makes it unstable for no good reason.

Haha... I run everything on a single box. Probably not the best practice, but it hosts three small-time websites, squid, a gui, etc. Because of that I have thoroughly inspected and secured all public scripts and restricted things, including mandating highly secure passwords. Anyway, thats just me.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Networking