Restrictive server

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Restrictive server

Post by beanspoon on Thu May 07, 2009 2:20 pm
([msg=23337]see Restrictive server[/msg])

I'm at uni, and am connected to the internet through a high-speed sever called resnet. When first connecting your computer you are asked for a username and password. Having entered these, all programs work fine, internet explorer, games, steam, you name it.
However, if you try pinging a remote server or tracing the route to a remote server, it is immediately blocked by said resnet server. Also, there's thousands of students on this server, and the server stops you from seeing other computers on the network through command prompt.

Of course, being a student with too much time on my hands, I want to find a way around this through command prompt, find my housemate's computer on the network and mess with it 8D

Any ideas?
beanspoon
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Restrictive server

Post by orwell84 on Thu May 07, 2009 2:48 pm
([msg=23338]see Re: Restrictive server[/msg])

Notice the disclaimer at the bottom of this page: Hack This Site does NOT condone or support illegal activities.
Seeing as you have so much time on your hands, you should be able to figure it out yourself if it's really that pressing of an issue. While you sound benign, you could be attempting to bring down the network/wreak general havoc, etc. Sorry, but seeing as this is likely to be illegal, we can't really help you.

EDIT: Just as a final note, the school's security restrictions are there for a reason.
Mens et manus.
orwell84
Poster
Poster

Post by beanspoon on Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm
([msg=23340]see Re: Restrictive server[/msg])

Ok I see your point. No it was just harmless fun I promise, just to see if I could find a way to get around the server's restrictive measures. I've got a few ideas, so I'll just see what I can do. Being the nerd I am, I'm just interested in command prompt. Thanks anyway :)
beanspoon
New User
New User

Post by noOneSpecial on Thu May 07, 2009 5:08 pm
([msg=23344]see Re: Restrictive server[/msg])

Nice, I'm a student as well - yeaaaahhh !!! Please do read the ToS / rules of your uni as it could be (probably is) that if you mess around with the university network you could have problems. Here at my uni one guy has been prosecuted for doing really the most stupid things on the planet with the uni net. Remember that most of the time uni networks r monitored by different types of software (arpwatch as an example) and ids / ips etc etc etc so think about it - do you want to have problems with your course just by 5 minutes of fun with the network ??? There are many other places where you can have sum fun - but I would recommend to do all the tests / experiments in a closed lab.

Have fun anyway :)
noOneSpecial
New User
New User

Post by mischief on Thu May 07, 2009 5:18 pm
([msg=23346]see Re: Restrictive server[/msg])

chances are that the gateway(s) block ICMP, which ping and traceroute rely on.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by noOneSpecial on Thu May 07, 2009 5:28 pm
([msg=23348]see Re: Restrictive server[/msg])

Do agree, some of the network security policies can enforce that all of the ICMP is closed. Its really hard to do things from the command prompt on windows, but if you really want to have a go wid sumthing - try nmap and scan the gateway.... But you have been warned !!

note: maybe you could get a different version of traceroute that relies on UDP packets... maybe those are not blocked (linux traceroute uses udp instead of tcp).
noOneSpecial
New User
New User

Post by orwell84 on Thu May 07, 2009 7:44 pm
([msg=23356]see Re: Restrictive server[/msg])

Well if you're interested in command prompt...
http://commandwindows.com/
A general google search off "Windows command line" and/or "command prompt" should bring up interesting stuff.
Mens et manus.
orwell84
Poster
Poster

Return to Networking