Ping spoof basic concept

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Ping spoof basic concept

Post by frosty1433 on Thu May 07, 2009 2:30 am
([msg=23304]see Ping spoof basic concept[/msg])

A little theory I came up with:

Ping; A protocol that sends a message to another computer and waits for acknowledgment, often used to check if another computer on a network is reachable. (http://www.answers.com/ping)

Often times, we use pinging, as a method to test how good of a connection one computer has to another. This is possible by the host, which originally requested the ping, to meassure the time it took the client to respond.

I believe it is possible to meassure the patterns of how often a ping request is sent to an Xbox 360, and send a false or spoofed, ping reply shortly before the Xbox 360 is expecting the next ping request. As long as the host recieves the reply after it sends the request, it will trick the host into thinking it is a legitimate response.

The purpose is to make the server think you have an excellent connection, possibly making lagswitches more sophisticated, and guarunteeing you a 99% chance (percentage pulled out of my ass) of getting party leader for parties.

Flaws in the theory: if the host sends a string in the message, that the Xbox 360 must match in the response, then there will need to be a system to guess that string. If the string is random, then it might be impossible.
frosty1433
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Ping spoof basic concept

Post by mischief on Thu May 07, 2009 3:35 am
([msg=23305]see Re: Ping spoof basic concept[/msg])

the Xbox 360 (and thus the xbox live protocol) might not even use ICMP, the protocol which traditional ping uses.
chances are it uses some sort of acknowledgement built into it's own protocol, which has probably been dissected at one time or another (for example, kai).
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Re: Ping spoof basic concept

Post by frosty1433 on Thu May 07, 2009 6:30 am
([msg=23311]see Re: Ping spoof basic concept[/msg])

Yeah, that's probably true. It probably times every packet sent and recieved, thus every packet is like a ping.
frosty1433
New User
New User

Return to Networking