DOS attacks

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Re: DOS attacks

Post by AtlasDark on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:21 pm
([msg=24967]see Re: DOS attacks[/msg])

That sounds like recursion and would likely invoke a packet drop.

Like shooting a 3rd bullet into two revolvers, then trying to ping-pong that bullet between the other two guns.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:53 am
([msg=25017]see Re: DOS attacks[/msg])

If you are afraid of doing something to an actual serer, set up a small private server for yourself, and run some tests!

Lots of fun will ensue. I promise.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by AtlasDark on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:44 am
([msg=25182]see Re: DOS attacks[/msg])

Logic bomb localhost. :lol:

But in all seriousness, botnets can amount to quite the resilient force, if commanded properly.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by stateofmind76 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:55 pm
([msg=25554]see Re: DOS attacks[/msg])

Well, I got Wireshark (Great Program BTW) and I started reading some packets and testing,
I was wondering what that "Source IP Address" was, until I discovered it was my Router's IP...

so there is no way to stay completely invisible if you are leading the dos attack your ROUTERS IP address is ALWAYS on the packet, and you can't get it off, even with advanced IP spoofing...so, It's about time I started learning about BotNets.

And even then, If I were to run a successful BotNet, the client.exe or .dll file will show obvious network connections to me (And my router) Exposing me. But I think i've had another ingenius idea

What If you (Secretly) give the first computer you infect a different client file, this one contains code that runs the operation.. and also reports to me, kind of like an admin, so if they trace it to that computer. I delete that file and close my network connections and boom, I'm safe. Talk about misdirection.

Again, is this another incredibly stupid idea?
NOTE: This is all hypothetical, and I don't plan to engage in any Illegal activity.
stateofmind76
New User
New User

Post by msbachman on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:11 pm
([msg=27787]see Re: DOS attacks[/msg])

ArgentPyro wrote:thanks. What types of protection exactly? Does it log IP addresses and doesn't accept packets from IP's sending heavy traffic its way, or does it have a method of detecting patterns (i.e. nonsensical data, without meaningful headers)

I don't mean to be rude, but there's simply no protection against the brute force of, say, 1,000,000 peers teaming up on one. That shit might be a clever marketing scheme, but there's no way to block what comes down the wire to the router without another router one step above it doing the same thing (ad nauseum, here).
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Networking