Network Hacked [Speed reduced]

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Network Hacked [Speed reduced]

Post by thefytre on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:03 am
([msg=79344]see Network Hacked [Speed reduced][/msg])

I am a student of college. In our college there is a Wi-Fi network which is encrypted with WPA password. Now, most of the students know the password. In our college, NEBERO is used. Nebero is a authentication panel used in various colleges and workplace. What happened that when we open browser it redirects us to nebero login panel where we can login and get the internet access. But some of us find that connection to https:// is possible without login and download speed can be increased without logging in. :D

Now the problem is that someone had done something on the network and he has blocked all of us :evil: from accessing the https:// connection directly and we can't increase the speed. So, I used Wireshark and it shows router solication and neighbor solication. So, how to get rid of these. In our college Cisco routers are used. I know there is RA guard but the Wi-Fi admin doesn't take our things seriously. So please help on this.
thefytre
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Network Hacked [Speed reduced]

Post by limdis on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:01 am
([msg=79372]see Re: Network Hacked [Speed reduced][/msg])

Let's go over this.

thefytre wrote:Wi-Fi network which is encrypted with WPA password...students know the password...NEBERO is used

Alright.

thefytre wrote:But some of us find that connection to https:// is possible without login and download speed can be increased without logging in.

Not exactly. If proxies are not configured correctly you can use the SSL option (https) to circumvent the security settings (aka the blocked websites). If you see a speed increase at all it should be very minor.

thefytre wrote:blocked all of us :evil: from accessing the https://

Your admin woke up.

thefytre wrote:I used Wireshark and it shows router solication and neighbor solication.

Good on you to research and try to figure out a loophole but you should have looked these up first. This is only broadcast packets being sent from each router. This is common for larger WANs, such as a college, so users don't have to manually reconnect to the next router when they leave the range of the first one.

thefytre wrote:I know there is RA guard but the Wi-Fi admin doesn't take our things seriously.

Well he/she seems to be taking measures to increase security if this is up. This prevents you from using a rouge access point to trick users into connecting to you instead of the legit network.

thefytre wrote: So please help on this.

In most cases I suggest using a different proxy but that isn't going to increase your speed. Which is really where I am confused here. If your college connection sucks then it sucks not a lot of you can do about that. Using a different proxy to tunnel out isn't going to increase your bandwidth. It's just going to give you access to preblocked sites.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by thefytre on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:07 pm
([msg=79378]see Re: Network Hacked [Speed reduced][/msg])

Not exactly. If proxies are not configured correctly you can use the SSL option (https) to circumvent the security settings (aka the blocked websites). If you see a speed increase at all it should be very minor.

In our college, we can use those 443 ports earlier.
If we go and log into the NEBERO panel then the speed is 50-60kB/s and when we logged out the speed jumped to 1.7MB/s. The admin has allocated 512kbps connection for each logged in user but never done anything for any logged out user.
But someone had done something. Even i know that who has done and he is a student but I can't tell his name to the admin.

Your admin woke up.

Admin is still sleeping and all the speed is taken by that guy.

Good on you to research and try to figure out a loophole but you should have looked these up first. This is only broadcast packets being sent from each router. This is common for larger WANs, such as a college, so users don't have to manually reconnect to the next router when they leave the range of the first one.

Thanks for the complement. But I have seen the MAC and its of that guy whom I know and most of us can see that he is getting a speed of 1MB/s.

Well he/she seems to be taking measures to increase security if this is up. This prevents you from using a rouge access point to trick users into connecting to you instead of the legit network.

He doesn't even knows about that RA guard and hasn't taken any measures.

In most cases I suggest using a different proxy but that isn't going to increase your speed. Which is really where I am confused here. If your college connection sucks then it sucks not a lot of you can do about that. Using a different proxy to tunnel out isn't going to increase your bandwidth. It's just going to give you access to preblocked sites.

See sir the proxy is not required since that guy has blocked it permanently. And the speed increase from 50kBps to 1.7MBps is not bad and hence the network is good but used by that guy only.

I am waiting for your answer. That guy has Kali backtrack and may have done Mac Flooding. Please tell how to solve the problem.
thefytre
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:31 pm
([msg=79379]see Re: Network Hacked [Speed reduced][/msg])

Take no offense to this but it sounds like you are making a lot of assumptions about a network you are only glimpsing at from the outside as a standard user. There isn't enough information. What are the first 3 octets of the mac address you are tracking? Also how do you know it belongs to this individual you are speaking of? If you are on a face to face basis why haven't you just asked him what he is doing exactly to throttle/dethrottle the bandwidth settings? Also an effective MAC flooding attack on an entire school's network is no small feat. It would also directly affect his connection as well not just everyone else.

More to the point, are you trying to catch this guy/stop him, or are you just trying to circumvent Nebero?

I'm currently going over the installation guide to assist you a bit better. Awaiting to hear back from you.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by thefytre on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:41 am
([msg=79689]see Re: Network Hacked [Speed reduced][/msg])

sorry for the late reply. But the problem is still persisting. Can any network control app available for Windows or some for Android? its like connection to only a single IP is possible and if we try to connect to any other IP then nothing is possible.

Beside that I runned xARP and it detected ARP attacks. So how to counter them since I am on Windows 8 and nothing i can found to protect against. Basically I guess mac flooding is done.

limdis wrote:Take no offense to this but it sounds like you are making a lot of assumptions about a network you are only glimpsing at from the outside as a standard user. There isn't enough information. What are the first 3 octets of the mac address you are tracking? Also how do you know it belongs to this individual you are speaking of? If you are on a face to face basis why haven't you just asked him what he is doing exactly to throttle/dethrottle the bandwidth settings? Also an effective MAC flooding attack on an entire school's network is no small feat. It would also directly affect his connection as well not just everyone else.

More to the point, are you trying to catch this guy/stop him, or are you just trying to circumvent Nebero?

I'm currently going over the installation guide to assist you a bit better. Awaiting to hear back from you.
thefytre
New User
New User

Return to Networking