Bssid blocked on Reaver?

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Bssid blocked on Reaver?

Post by phuze69 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:58 pm
([msg=76911]see Bssid blocked on Reaver?[/msg])

Could anyone clarify what it means when a bssid is listed as "not associated"? Does this mean it's not being broadcasted or do i need to do something differently? http://postimg.org/image/b6ls0l95f/
phuze69
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Bssid blocked on Reaver?

Post by limdis on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:39 pm
([msg=76914]see Re: Bssid blocked on Reaver?[/msg])

This is an airodump-ng output, not reaver, just to clarify. Based on the picture you are doing a the standard base command -

Code: Select all
# airodump-ng <interface>

- which means that your are cycling channels searching for any and all targets. You can tell this by the top section output which displays access point (AP) information. You'll notice the channels (CH) vary. This is fine when first selecting a target but if you are planning on using any other tool besides reaver you will want to narrow down your scan to the specific channel and target.

Code: Select all
# airodump-ng -c <channel> --bssid <BSSID> -w <capture file> <interface>

Now as far as the second field is concerned, and your question; this field displays known connected clients (STAs) to their APs. When you see Not Associated, it is most often caused by the STA not currently connected to an AP. This can happen a lot of with phones having their wifi on but not being currently connected to the networks available. If you look at the first 3 octets of a mac address you can almost always identify the type of device. Off the top of my head I know that 84:38:35:xx:xx:xx (taken from your picture) is an Apple device. The reason you will still detect the device is because even though a client is not currently connected, the wireless card will periodically send probe request packets to determine if any APs are within range and available (off topic but this is why you mac spoof your card before you go into monitor mode, as well as while in monitor mode). Now, in my personal experience I have also seen the Not Associated flag due to a device going into hibernate or idle, so that is also a possibility.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by phuze69 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:43 pm
([msg=76916]see Re: Bssid blocked on Reaver?[/msg])

Thank so much for your reply! I didn't spoof my Mac address because I'm just using weaver on my own AP. I'm very new, so I try to make sure I understand everything! It's interesting that you say they're phone wlan, because they never disappear for any length of time, which made me assume otherwise.
phuze69
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:52 am
([msg=76919]see Re: Bssid blocked on Reaver?[/msg])

(this is another person/reason I need to start releasing my tutorials)

Sure! Nothing wrong with being new. I'll help you out. Start from the beginning, tell me what you are doing from step 1. I know you are after WPA(2) secured APs since you mentioned reaver. I'll walk you through each step if needed. You want to get a solid understanding of what you are doing when you do it. This way you actually learn something, opposed to just being a script kiddie that watches youtube videos :P
limdis

Post by phuze69 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:30 am
([msg=76948]see Re: Bssid blocked on Reaver?[/msg])

That's really kind of you, no wonder they made you a mod :D
I'm following these steps I came across on life hacker http://lifehacker.com/5873407/how-to-crack-a-wi+fi-networks-wpa-password-with-reaver. I cut into my finger pretty badly yesterday so I've haven't really been able to do much typing. I'd be curious to know how I can tell the strength of ap? would that be the packets column? what can the other columns tell me as well? really anything you can impart information wise i'm all ears/eyes!
phuze69
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:14 am
([msg=76958]see Re: Bssid blocked on Reaver?[/msg])

phuze69 wrote:That's really kind of you, no wonder they made you a mod :D

Psh, in my day all you had to do was be a dick and lie a lot.

phuze69 wrote:I'd be curious to know how I can tell the strength of ap? would that be the packets column? what can the other columns tell me as well? really anything you can impart information wise i'm all ears/eyes!

Roughly speaking (and not in all cases) the PWR field is the strength of the signal you pick up. In wireless communication there's something called RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) which, as you might guess, indicates the strength of a received signal. Now I say "roughly speaking" because some cards don't support this or misrepresent it. You also can't compare two values to see which is closer, because one could be using a cheap built-in WiFi card, and another could be using a multi-mW external one which would present a much stronger signal.

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=airodump-ng
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by limdis on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:40 pm
([msg=76979]see Re: Bssid blocked on Reaver?[/msg])

Goatboy is spot on. Also review the link posted as well, it will answer your questions regarding fields and how to interpret the data. As for your tutorial you are following... it's meh. As soon as I saw "(Note: If airodump-ng wlan0 doesn't work for you, you may want to try the monitor interface instead)" I knew the author didn't know what he was talking about and probably just watched some youtube videos before writing it up. But, that's something you have to take into consideration when you are following tutorials. Don't follow just one. Also, always always always find the source of the tools you are about to play with and read up on their official documentation.
limdis

Post by phuze69 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:54 pm
([msg=77021]see Re: Bssid blocked on Reaver?[/msg])

lol predictably airodump-ng wlan0 didn't work ;) thanks for the good reads, i'll be smarter then george jestson (professional single button pusher) in noooo time!

P.s ha ha goat boy :D
phuze69
New User
New User

Post by Resistor on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:38 am
([msg=78065]see Re: Bssid blocked on Reaver?[/msg])

When you have problems associating with reaver, make sure your wlan0 and mon0 MAC addresses are the same, and make sure your receive quality (RXQ) is good with airodump-ng. If it's poor, get closer to the AP.
Resistor
New User
New User

Return to Networking