a project

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

a project

Post by poltergeistfuckhead on Mon May 27, 2013 12:50 pm
([msg=75797]see a project[/msg])

Hi all, I'm hoping to get a bit of help with some C++ networking scripting.

I'm trying to write my own server file for a game I'm designing, but the problem is the game engine isn't natively set-up to recieve exterior messages, the game is written in C++, and the game engine natively asks for encryption of any message. (it can see messages coming in but wont read them if they don't first set-up an encryption method.) it seems like the encryption is a modified version of blowfish.

so I'm trying to write my own server file from scratch, but I want to disable the whole encryption system. I want to start the server file with "packets will not be sent in an encrypted format"

how do I do so?
poltergeistfuckhead
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: a project

Post by centip3de on Mon May 27, 2013 3:34 pm
([msg=75802]see Re: a project[/msg])

poltergeistfuckhead wrote:Hi all, I'm hoping to get a bit of help with some C++ networking scripting.

I'm trying to write my own server file for a game I'm designing, but the problem is the game engine isn't natively set-up to recieve exterior messages, the game is written in C++, and the game engine natively asks for encryption of any message. (it can see messages coming in but wont read them if they don't first set-up an encryption method.) it seems like the encryption is a modified version of blowfish.

so I'm trying to write my own server file from scratch, but I want to disable the whole encryption system. I want to start the server file with "packets will not be sent in an encrypted format"

how do I do so?

I'm confused. Are you saying that you want to write a server for your game in C++, and want all data sent or received by it to not be encrypted? Or are you saying you want to modify the game engine's built-in server to not use encryption?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by WallShadow on Mon May 27, 2013 3:43 pm
([msg=75805]see Re: a project[/msg])

poltergeistfuckhead wrote:Hi all, I'm hoping to get a bit of help with some C++ networking scripting.

how do I do so?

either there should be an option to disable this encryption in the game engine, or if the game engine is open source; recompile it with encryption turned off, or get a new game engine.

though it would be nice you could add some more detail so that we can understand the question better.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by poltergeistfuckhead on Tue May 28, 2013 8:00 am
([msg=75827]see Re: a project[/msg])

centip3de wrote:

how do I do so?

I'm confused. Are you saying that you want to write a server for your game in C++, and want all data sent or received by it to not be encrypted? Or are you saying you want to modify the game engine's built-in server to not use encryption?

both sorta, main just write my own server which doesn't use encryption.

but in the process I want the first packet it sends to the game to say the messages the game sends should not be encypted. need it unencrypted on both sides.
poltergeistfuckhead
New User
New User

Post by e3cb on Tue May 28, 2013 8:17 am
([msg=75828]see Re: a project[/msg])

An idea may to be avoid editing the game at all and just hook the encryption function to return true. Again, I would need to know more about the game, but as long as no other function regarding input relied on the output of the encryption function, this method would work relatively easily. As long as there isn't any cheat detection in the game, this method would work without a whole lot of effort. Incase you are a little shoddy on hooking, here is a hooking API that works well: http://easyhook.codeplex.com/
<3 FF E4 <3
Do you even asm bruh?
e3cb
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by poltergeistfuckhead on Tue May 28, 2013 6:11 pm
([msg=75846]see Re: a project[/msg])

e3cb wrote:An idea may to be avoid editing the game at all and just hook the encryption function to return true. Again, I would need to know more about the game, but as long as no other function regarding input relied on the output of the encryption function, this method would work relatively easily. As long as there isn't any cheat detection in the game, this method would work without a whole lot of effort. Incase you are a little shoddy on hooking, here is a hooking API that works well: http://easyhook.codeplex.com/

thanks I'll give it a try next time I'm in the mood to work on it. it sounds like it should work.
poltergeistfuckhead
New User
New User

Return to Networking