Metasploit newbie

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Metasploit newbie

Post by JungleJam on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:02 am
([msg=75415]see Metasploit newbie[/msg])

I'm a bit new with metasploit.I know how meterpreter and some of the exploits and payloads work but I am having problems with metasploit itself.

First of all,why did I put this on "Networking"?
Well,I'm not asking about how penetrate systems with metasploit so I think this is the best place for my questions.

1 - Can I attack a system if I have it's WAN IP?(I mean without sending any links or files to the user to open them so I can takeover)

2 - Do metasploit's payloads need port forwarding or I need to open those ports?

3 - If I am runing metasploit on Windows,do I need to switch off the firewall?I know I need to switch the anti-virus software off but I am not sure about the firewall.

4 - If I need to port forward can I do it without entering the router control panel?

5 - Is there a problem if metasploit is ran through a cable(if I don't have a router)?

Sry for these stupid questions but that's why I titled this topic "Metasploit newbie". :D
P.S. I am using Armitage as a GUI.
JungleJam
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Metasploit newbie

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:58 am
([msg=75416]see Re: Metasploit newbie[/msg])

JungleJam wrote:1 - Can I attack a system if I have it's WAN IP?(I mean without sending any links or files to the user to open them so I can takeover)

Yes, you can but it would depend on the victim.
JungleJam wrote:2 - Do metasploit's payloads need port forwarding or I need to open those ports?

If they are on LAN, no, if they are on WAN, yes. Then you would usually attack on port 80 or port 443 for http and ssl.
JungleJam wrote:3 - If I am runing metasploit on Windows,do I need to switch off the firewall?I know I need to switch the anti-virus software off but I am not sure about the firewall.

I don't use windows, therefor I don't know. However, I would assume that you would need to do this.
JungleJam wrote:4 - If I need to port forward can I do it without entering the router control panel?

I have heard of some programs that will forward ports for you, however I don't recall the names, and I don't really know if it would work.
JungleJam wrote:5 - Is there a problem if metasploit is ran through a cable(if I don't have a router)?

Again, I don't know, never had that situation in my hands. You can always try to set up a pentest lab.

You can also find some more information here:
http://help.metasploit.com/
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Re: Metasploit newbie

Post by JungleJam on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:33 am
([msg=75417]see Re: Metasploit newbie[/msg])

Thanks for the info!

I don't need anything else.

If someone thinks that there is something else I need to know on my questions post away :D but if you don't there is noo need for spam. ;)
JungleJam
New User
New User

Return to Networking