Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8

Post by vindy on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:11 am
([msg=78596]see Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8[/msg])

Hello. I have an HP Laptop I bought not too long ago running Windows 8 and I was wondering if there are windows drivers out there for my Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter that Wireshark could make use of to put the card into promiscuous or monitor mode. First of all is there a difference between promiscuous and monitor mode or are they two terms for the same thing? I am certain that my Atheros WiFi NIC has support for promiscuous mode built into the hardware, but most windows drivers don't implement it. It has been suggested that I try using Winpcap, but Winpcap is installed along with Wireshark and Wireshark on my Windows 8 laptop is unable to throw the card into promiscuous mode. If there are windows drivers that would allow me to do this that Wireshark can use that'd be great. If I have to download a different packet sniffer using its own custom drivers to get use of promiscuous mode that's alright I guess. I am aware, and I know, that most Linux distributions, such as Backtrack, can do it no problem, but if I could get it working under Windows 8 I would really like to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
vindy
New User
New User
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8

Post by centip3de on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:26 pm
([msg=78612]see Re: Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8[/msg])

This problem is pretty easily solved if you looked it up yourself on Google, instead of having us do it for you, but I digress. As far as I could see there are no Windows drivers that work out there, but the madwifi drivers for Linux seem to have good results.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8

Post by vindy on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:28 pm
([msg=79053]see Re: Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8[/msg])

I have already researched the topic fairly well via Google and I know of madwifi. And I said in the post that I am aware that this can be easily done on Linux. I just thought someone out there might know something I either missed in my searching or is not easily found via Google when it comes to using promiscuous mode in Windows. I thought the point of forums was to come to others with questions they might be able to help you with. I have seen it time and again on so many forums where someone has posted a topic in search of assistance only to get rude replies from those who say the answer is easily found using Google. I've already thoroughly had it out on another forum with the admin who was treating some guy there like crap calling him lame so I won't do the same here, but it seems to me that if contempt is going to be a part of the reply you post to someone's topic perhaps it would be better to not post anything at all. The one who is really choosing to waste your time is yourself, not the "lamer" who first posted the topic.
vindy
New User
New User
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8

Post by centip3de on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:27 pm
([msg=79156]see Re: Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8[/msg])

vindy wrote:I have already researched the topic fairly well via Google and I know of madwifi. And I said in the post that I am aware that this can be easily done on Linux. I just thought someone out there might know something I either missed in my searching or is not easily found via Google when it comes to using promiscuous mode in Windows.


Nope, not that I could see.

vindy wrote:I thought the point of forums was to come to others with questions they might be able to help you with.


Correct.

vindy wrote:I have seen it time and again on so many forums where someone has posted a topic in search of assistance only to get rude replies from those who say the answer is easily found using Google. I've already thoroughly had it out on another forum with the admin who was treating some guy there like crap calling him lame so I won't do the same here, but it seems to me that if contempt is going to be a part of the reply you post to someone's topic perhaps it would be better to not post anything at all. The one who is really choosing to waste your time is yourself, not the "lamer" who first posted the topic.


Wait, what? You didn't say how much information you had at the current time, or how much you already knew, so I was forced to assume you didn't know much. I understand why you might be upset with my reply, but most people who come here expect us to tell them exactly what to do without putting any effort into it, thus telling people to look it up is a common practice. If you want a better response next time, tell us ahead of time how much you already know (in specifics) so we can specifically help you.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8

Post by vindy on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:03 pm
([msg=79184]see Re: Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8[/msg])

Will do, and I apologize if I upset you. That was not my goal. The admin on the other forum however was particularly cruel and offensive to this one guy so I can't say I didn't set out with the intention of ruffling his feathers, but in retrospect I still kind of wish I hadn't done that as just giving "shit" back to some prick hardly ever helps matters and rarely does anything to change how they treat others.
vindy
New User
New User
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8

Post by centip3de on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:12 pm
([msg=79185]see Re: Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8[/msg])

vindy wrote:Will do, and I apologize if I upset you. That was not my goal. The admin on the other forum however was particularly cruel and offensive to this one guy so I can't say I didn't set out with the intention of ruffling his feathers, but in retrospect I still kind of wish I hadn't done that as just giving "shit" back to some prick hardly ever helps matters and rarely does anything to change how they treat others.


If you put work and effort into a task, post your issues here and show us that you've put work and effort into it, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone saying anything negative.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8

Post by vindy on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:16 pm
([msg=79354]see Re: Promiscuous Mode Using Windows 8[/msg])

Sure thing. Again, sorry about that. I think what I am going to do is write my own bit of driver code for Windows that will throw the card into promiscuous mode when WireShark sends that command to the Wifi adapter. Over the summer I'll have plenty of free time to take a stab at it as I won't have any college courses to worry about. I don't know if I will succeed, as I have never done low-level programming of that sort aimed at a particular device, but it sounds like it would be an interesting and fun challenge. I'm gonna try to make the code compatible with as many Atheros cards as I can and if I do manage to pull it off I'll come back here and share the source and binaries with you guys. Thanks for you help and I'll c-ya around.
vindy
New User
New User
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)



Return to Networking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests