TOR Relay Routing

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

TOR Relay Routing

Post by LostinCyberia on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:53 pm
([msg=74957]see TOR Relay Routing[/msg])

Hello everyone. I've outfitted my Ras pi, to be a Tor Relay. It's using Debian and I've editted my Torrc file to make sure it's in good working order and too my specs. I have a question about TOR itself though. As I'm aware, when someone uses my relay, their traffic is encrypted with the previous routers public key. So in the middle of this 'sphere' is the data that I want to send. Wrapping that is the public key of the last tor router in the chain, then outside of that is a public key encrypted layer of the 2nd to last router, and then the final layer is the public key encrypted layer of the first router in the chain of Tor nodes. Once this sphere comes back to me, I send out the 'onion' and it begins it's unwrapping process. Now I'm doing a net stat on my tor relay, and I can clearly see people's IP addresses and port numbers? How is anonyminity acheieved when I can see the IP's of the connections going through my machine?
Remember what the dor-mouse said; Feed your head.
LostinCyberia
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: TOR Relay Routing

Post by 3vilp4wn on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:58 pm
([msg=74961]see Re: TOR Relay Routing[/msg])

LostinCyberia wrote:Now I'm doing a net stat on my tor relay, and I can clearly see people's IP addresses and port numbers? How is anonyminity acheieved when I can see the IP's of the connections going through my machine?

Can you see what page they're getting? No, you can't, unless you're an exit relay, then you would see the previous relay's ip.
You can see who is using tor, but not what they're using it for.

I hope that explains it.
Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation
Evil Ninja Hackers
???
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

1A4EAMboaXpgvUSmtRbVRqbfJrbyuGhyoo
3vilp4wn
Poster
Poster

Post by LostinCyberia on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:09 pm
([msg=74965]see Re: TOR Relay Routing[/msg])

Kind of. But I do see people's IP addresses in the foreign connections column in netstat. Whose IP's are these? Are these from the originating user's IP? or the previous node? And I know I can't see their content, (I wouldn't want to) but doesn't me knowing the foreign IP address leak information? Thanks
LostinCyberia
New User
New User

Post by 3vilp4wn on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:29 pm
([msg=74966]see Re: TOR Relay Routing[/msg])

LostinCyberia wrote:Whose IP's are these? Are these from the originating user's IP? or the previous node?

If you are running a middleman relay, then those ip's are from the previous relay. If you're running a starting relay, then those are the user's ip's. It's impossible to hide the fact that someone is using tor (and the devs know this, and are ok with it), thus it's not a security issue.

LostinCyberia wrote:And I know I can't see their content, (I wouldn't want to)

That means you aren't running an exit relay. If you were, then you could spy on traffic, but you couldn't see who it's coming from, unless you controlled 3 relays in the same circuit.
Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation
Evil Ninja Hackers
???
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

1A4EAMboaXpgvUSmtRbVRqbfJrbyuGhyoo
3vilp4wn
Poster
Poster

Post by LostinCyberia on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:24 pm
([msg=75057]see Re: TOR Relay Routing[/msg])

Hey guys I have another question. Right now, still operating as a tor relay. (:D) but I have a security question. Right now I'm operating this on my networks only router. It's a home router, and it's the only 'wall' I have up between myself and the internet. Is it ok that my TOR relay traffic is going through the same router as my personal traffic? Should I get a 2nd router and split them up? How should my network phsyically be divided to run something like this?
LostinCyberia
New User
New User

Return to Networking