eth0 has me stumped

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

eth0 has me stumped

Post by pretentious on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:36 am
([msg=74490]see eth0 has me stumped[/msg])

So for a while i've wanted to set up my own server. I started off playing with an old computer that came preloaded with win 97 that the family didn't bother throwing out coz it still worked. Thing is the moment i installed ubuntu server on the machine, it seemed unable to see the network. I have spend hours trying to figure it out until finally giving up and deciding that i could just buy newer hardware and it would likely work better. Now i've bought a raspberry pi, enabled ssh and thought i'd just get networking set up and i can remote into it from then on. I see that there is no ip address on eth0 so i use ifup eth0 and it failes to find a dhcp responce. i had tried to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file but it didn't seem to help. So i have once again given up. I know i havn't really provided much detail on what specifically i've tried but It all looks pretty straight forward to me, i've plugged in the cable, have a router with a dhcp pool, shouldn't this stuff just work? :? I've realised now that i can't get my trusty laptop to configure eth0 either so it might be my lack of education. Do you guys have any ideas?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: eth0 has me stumped

Post by mShred on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:59 pm
([msg=74504]see Re: eth0 has me stumped[/msg])

Hrm. Never actually had to set up eth0. What exactly did you do with the interfaces file?

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by WallShadow on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:42 pm
([msg=74515]see Re: eth0 has me stumped[/msg])

Since ive recently installed ubuntu server on one of my machines, I ran into the same exact problem as you, I remember that a little bit of toying with the /etc/network/interfaces file and either resetting the interface or the whole system fixes it. Since I love my server so much, I completely forgot the password on it and am currently reinstalling it. In the mean time, please post the contents of /etc/network/interfaces

as I remember, I think you have to add the following to /etc/network/interfaces to have it configure it automatically;

Code: Select all
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

<3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pretentious on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 pm
([msg=74542]see Re: eth0 has me stumped[/msg])

thanks for the replies. I added that autho eth0 so it ran on boot and allow-hotplug

Code: Select all
auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

turns out however that my flawlessly tech savy landlords didn't label the ports correctly.. i think. I could plug the cat5 cable in but it wouldn't connect. I found a working port and now have a network connection :D
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Networking