My CPU is acting up, rendering my computer almost unusable..

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

My CPU is acting up, rendering my computer almost unusable..

Post by itskillingme on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:22 pm
([msg=63331]see My CPU is acting up, rendering my computer almost unusable..[/msg])

(I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum topic to post this in, but I'm new to this site, and I don't know where to post problems like this)

I've tried many different solutions, but none of them seem to work. I've done disk defrag, WinMend Registry Cleaner, Ad-Aware scans, Malware-Bytes full scan, and even down to going into msconfig and disabling start-up programs.

I've gone into Task Manager, but nothing seems to be taking up CPU space, but when I turn to the resource monitor, the CPU Panel is Spiking like crazy. The blue line (Maximum Frequency) is usually stuck at 32% for a few minutes, then goes back to 100%. When the line is up to 100%, my computer starts working at normal pace again, but then it goes down to 32% , and the computer starts to jump, and everything I do seems to be "choppy." It's getting to be a real pain in the rear to deal with this, as I've tried everything to free up Disk Space, RAM, and anything else I can't think off the top of my head right now.

Someone told me that this could be a potential virus, or just an old hard drive, but I just need some help from a community I trust. If you need PC Specs, I'll post them below.

Dell Laptop XPS|M1530

Windows Vista Ultimate (Service Pack 2)
Processor: Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5900 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
Memory (RAM): 4.00GB
System Type64-bit Operating System
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
itskillingme
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: My CPU is acting up, rendering my computer almost unusable..

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:57 pm
([msg=63332]see Re: My CPU is acting up, rendering my computer almost unusable..[/msg])

If it is windows when you scan run windows in safe mode.

If there is something there, there's a good chance it will find it, but still not 100%. Also, has it been going on for a while or is this something that just happened recently? You could try running chkdsk /r.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by itskillingme on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:49 pm
([msg=63372]see Re: My CPU is acting up, rendering my computer almost unusable..[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:If it is windows when you scan run windows in safe mode.

If there is something there, there's a good chance it will find it, but still not 100%. Also, has it been going on for a while or is this something that just happened recently? You could try running chkdsk /r.

Well it's been a recent problem (about 4-5 days ago), but I noticed the Fan has just stopped working. I've taken out the cover plate to my laptop and removed a bunch of dust, but the fan still isn't working, and my computer isn't getting any better. I'll try running a scan on safemode, as well as a chkdsk /r. I'll return in a few with the results.
itskillingme
New User
New User

Post by runner7gk on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:05 pm
([msg=63373]see Re: My CPU is acting up, rendering my computer almost unusable..[/msg])

then the problem seems obvious to me...

your cpu overheats because the fan is broken. so the clock rate gets very low to prevent further damage. now your system is working very very slow

would also explain what you described:

When the line is up to 100%, my computer starts working at normal pace again, but then it goes down to 32% , and the computer starts to jump, and everything I do seems to be "choppy."

that is what i´m thinking.
Last edited by runner7gk on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
runner7gk
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:08 pm
([msg=63374]see Re: My CPU is acting up, rendering my computer almost unusable..[/msg])

runner7gk wrote:then the problem seems obvious to me...

your cpu overheats because the fan is broken. so the clock rate gets very low to prevent further damage. now your system is working very very slow

This is possible. Fans are known to die out, especially old ones. If the pc is getting old, it could just be clutter on the hard drive, unused .dll's in the registery, need defrag, or just a combo of everything.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by itskillingme on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:34 pm
([msg=63378]see Re: My CPU is acting up, rendering my computer almost unusable..[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:
runner7gk wrote:then the problem seems obvious to me...

This is possible. Fans are known to die out, especially old ones. If the pc is getting old, it could just be clutter on the hard drive, unused .dll's in the registery, need defrag, or just a combo of everything.

Well I've tried chkdsk /r, and the computer overheats before it could even finish. I know where to find a new fan, but I'm just worried about the cost. Well thank you guys for trying to help, I'm going to try and get that new fan as soon as possible.
itskillingme
New User
New User

Return to Malware