Modern Viruses?

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

Modern Viruses?

Post by Malcolm Frink on Tue May 17, 2011 4:19 pm
([msg=57494]see Modern Viruses?[/msg])

Do all viruses have to be written in assembly language like mark ludwing said in the giant black book of computer viruses or can they be created using more modern languages like microsoft visual c++ 2010 express for example?
Malcolm Frink
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Modern Viruses?

Post by Gatito on Tue May 17, 2011 4:38 pm
([msg=57495]see Re: Modern Viruses?[/msg])

Malcolm Frink wrote:Do all viruses have to be written in assembly language like mark ludwing said in the giant black book of computer viruses or can they be created using more modern languages like microsoft visual c++ 2010 express for example?

First: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 isn't a language. C++ is.
Second: Yes, a virus is by definition a program so you could well write one using Visual Studio and it's also not limited to C/C++.
Gatito
Poster
Poster

Post by Dwere134 on Tue May 17, 2011 5:10 pm
([msg=57498]see Re: Modern Viruses?[/msg])

Virii and other forms of malware can in theory be written in any programming language, as far as I know. That doesn't mean they SHOULD BE written in every language. Not to say that Virii should be written at ALL, but I *expect* that there are some languages that may be more cohesively utilized when it comes to the creation of a new piece of malware.

If you are thinking about writing one, firstly I'd make sure you consider who your target is. If it's somebody who isn't willing to be the target of a virus, or who isn't working with you in this venture, I'd say stop, because well, ToS says "We can't condone illegal activities" or something along those lines etc. Eg. Make sure whatever virus you're writing is going to be used LEGALLY. Secondly, I'd consider WHAT you want the virus to do. Certain functions of a virus may be easier to account for in different languages.
Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:
Dwere wrote:I'm not one to start some branch of religion though. Not my thing.

Of course if you wanted to, you could call it the Davidians!
Dwere134
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by tgoe on Tue May 17, 2011 9:33 pm
([msg=57511]see Re: Modern Viruses?[/msg])

You can probably use most any language. Have a look at the world's slowest virus for inspiration:

http://www.0100101110101101.org/home/biennale_py/index.html
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Malware