Will Jack the Ripper rip you off?

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

Will Jack the Ripper rip you off?

Post by KingKush on Sat May 23, 2009 1:04 pm
([msg=24242]see Will Jack the Ripper rip you off?[/msg])

Hi folks, obviously I'm a noob to hacking. Well, my question is in regards to a supposed ''Trojan threat.'' When downloading the john the ripper cracker your warned with a Trojan horse threat. There's a note on the site(http://www.openwall.com/john/) mentioning the following ''a few Windows anti-virus and anti-spyware products have started to recognize password recovery tools as if they were Trojans. This is how those products vendors inflate their detected virus counts. The effect is that end-users are no longer able to check password recovery software for real viruses.'' So, I downloaded the program and indeed came across with a Trojan detection. Before proceeding with the installation I would like to know if anyone has stumbled with the same problem and if in reality the Trojan detection is something that can just be ignored. Thanks for your time and ideas.
KingKush
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Will Jack the Ripper rip you off?

Post by haha01haha01 on Sat May 23, 2009 3:22 pm
([msg=24249]see Re: Will Jack the Ripper rip you off?[/msg])

KingKush wrote:Hi folks, obviously I'm a noob to hacking. Well, my question is in regards to a supposed ''Trojan threat.'' When downloading the john the ripper cracker your warned with a Trojan horse threat. There's a note on the site(http://www.openwall.com/john/) mentioning the following ''a few Windows anti-virus and anti-spyware products have started to recognize password recovery tools as if they were Trojans. This is how those products vendors inflate their detected virus counts. The effect is that end-users are no longer able to check password recovery software for real viruses.'' So, I downloaded the program and indeed came across with a Trojan detection. Before proceeding with the installation I would like to know if anyone has stumbled with the same problem and if in reality the Trojan detection is something that can just be ignored. Thanks for your time and ideas.
The problem is the naming. Lately I see many anti viruses calling everything something along the lines of "Trojan.WIN32.XYZ123". If they bothered actually saying what is it, people could have seen if its really dangerous. But anti virus corps automatically assume that the end user is stupid and cannot detect a false positive anyway, so they just throw red warnings saying "Your system is exposed to dangerous risk!". i uploaded JTR to virusscan.jotti, and it seems like most of the anti viruses define it as a "hack tool" (and we really hope it is one :roll:). Personally, i use kaspersky anti virus and it doesnt detect it at all.
There are 11 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, those who don't and those who already heard this joke.
haha01haha01
Poster
Poster

Post by mischief on Sat May 23, 2009 3:38 pm
([msg=24250]see Re: Will Jack the Ripper rip you off?[/msg])

try it on virustotal and see what you get =P
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by KingKush on Sat May 23, 2009 6:00 pm
([msg=24254]see Re: Will Jack the Ripper rip you off?[/msg])

Well, I'm currently using AVG. Also, not only AVG warns of a threat but also the Windows defender. I would also like to know if you guys have had first hand experience with JTR. I'll be sure to scan the file with the program you guy's recommended. Thanks a bunch fellas!
KingKush
New User
New User

Post by fiftysixer on Sun May 24, 2009 7:08 am
([msg=24278]see Re: Will Jack the Ripper rip you off?[/msg])

Well when you think about it...these so-called 'hacking tools' could be considered malware. I wouldn't call it a false positive, but it is annoying when your AV deletes that pile of freshly-downloaded apps :p

That said, John The Ripper is an awesome program.
Big fan of Image
fiftysixer
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by haha01haha01 on Sun May 24, 2009 2:30 pm
([msg=24304]see Re: Will Jack the Ripper rip you off?[/msg])

fiftysixer wrote:Well when you think about it...these so-called 'hacking tools' could be considered malware. I wouldn't call it a false positive, but it is annoying when your AV deletes that pile of freshly-downloaded apps :p

That said, John The Ripper is an awesome program.
technically, hacking tools are some sort of malwares working on your side.
There are 11 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, those who don't and those who already heard this joke.
haha01haha01
Poster
Poster

Post by Toxic_Duck on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:08 am
([msg=24798]see Re: Will Jack the Ripper rip you off?[/msg])

Same thing happens with Angry IP Scanner it shows up as a threat where no threat exists its almost as if the anti-virus companies are trying to phase out hacking tools. 'You better not use this, because we say it'll eat your computer!'
Toxic_Duck
New User
New User

Return to Malware