how do they control my comp. in school

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

how do they control my comp. in school

Post by ghmand on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:40 pm
([msg=20608]see how do they control my comp. in school[/msg])

Hi... im sorry if this in in the wrong form but its the best place i could find for it

but i remember when i was in 5th grade i had a comp. class and the teacher was able to take control of every ones comps. at once and was able to see what we were doing at all times. if any one knows what program she was using it will be greatly appreciated
ghmand
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: how do they control my comp. in school

Post by godofcereal on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:50 pm
([msg=20610]see Re: how do they control my comp. in school[/msg])

Its called a network. Most schools and work places have them. They are usualy monitered by a main computer.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by ghmand on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:08 pm
([msg=20612]see Re: how do they control my comp. in school[/msg])

i know its a network.. im in the cisco program at my school but she was using a program that was linked to all of our comps. a window would pop up( sorry for the error) and i would like to use it at home.. or am i completely wrong
ghmand
New User
New User

Post by mischief on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:19 pm
([msg=20618]see Re: how do they control my comp. in school[/msg])

a common piece of software for this is 'Vision'. they used it at my old highschool, and it was highly annoying. but it can be dealt with.

i *believe* the current owner of the software is here, http://www.genevalogic.com/index.php?id=1260, but it has been passed around a couple companies recently so i am not sure.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by Muskelmann098 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:25 pm
([msg=22433]see Re: how do they control my comp. in school[/msg])

LanSchool is what they use at our school. I don't have the website right now, but I guess you can Google it and find it.
Muskelmann098
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by brayden13 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:22 am
([msg=22468]see Re: how do they control my comp. in school[/msg])

Not all places use the same programs.

But the general term for these programs are RATs (Remote Administration Program) There are trojans that are like that and legit programs. The trojan ones that run in the background without the user knowing are programs like Sub7.

The legit programs are things such as "Vision" as mentioned earlier and others.

Basically it's just a RAT.
brayden13
New User
New User

Post by Timeghost on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:56 pm
([msg=22471]see Re: how do they control my comp. in school[/msg])

Hmm. Totally depends on the school - different schools, even different school districts.
From other programs I recall - I used to work with them in my first semester this year, actually :geek: - They had a pretty good system set up, I suppose. Of course, they had the occasional.... 'bug,' for lack of a better word, that would give 1 or more random students (which are here classified as numbers in their accounts.) complete staff (note: I said staff because there is a difference in the teacher and staff privileges on our Novell systems. They had most of the same permissions though.) access to the computer. So, we could shut off the Deep Freeze program that ran on all the computers in the network (except the Dean's, Principal's, and school officer's laptops, I believe), we could even edit the audit script (lucky for me, on my last day working with them, I copied the file to a flash drive to see how it worked. :) )

However, I'm getting off topic. As previously stated, different schools/districts run different programs. As to why that is, I know not. Almost everyone knows that that someone's security will be different from someone else. Although - I always did have a little thought: I thought that perhaps security was different because they have to go out and actually buy the full versions or school-only available programs. And, based on schools, others schools will have more money, as will the the districts, and some won't have as much.

To get off topic again, I'd like to vouch for my school. They learned a thing or two from me, as I did from them. I'm thrilled I had the opportunity to help them, because God knows what would have happened if some punk might have gotten a hold on the systems. :( .

Perhaps when you learn more about their systems, you could ask them for a shot. All I really did was turn the vulnerabilities they had against them (Clark County School District, of course), took some screenshots of my number using the vulns, printed, and reported them - of course, they had wondered why I'd do that for them, and I ended up getting my shot, I suppose. But be careful, though, when you do try something like that - if they catch you, you could end up in some trouble with the law. Perhaps ask, first. Or tell them, and ask to use the vulns against them - reporting them after, of course.
Timeghost
New User
New User

Post by oligarchy on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:36 am
([msg=22496]see Re: how do they control my comp. in school[/msg])

Generally a derivative of VNC, so something like Faronics Insight or IntelliAdmin.
Crude and quick solution to hiding from them is to use a while loop and nest a process kill instruction within it.
Worked for me until I figured out how to turn the program on them.
Cheers
oligarchy
New User
New User

Post by Acesanity on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:37 am
([msg=22650]see Re: how do they control my comp. in school[/msg])

Well, if you want to bypass the censors from school: http://www.ultrareach.com/
If you need anything else, like command prompt: go to notepad and put in this code:

@echo off
break off
title Command Prompt
color 0a
cls

:cmd
set /p cmd=Command:

%cmd%
echo.
goto cmd

Then save it as [filename].bat

If all else fails you can always pull the ethernet code LOL. :twisted:
Acesanity
New User
New User

Post by Timeghost on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 am
([msg=22797]see Re: how do they control my comp. in school[/msg])

Acesanity wrote:Well, if you want to bypass the censors from school: http://www.ultrareach.com/
If you need anything else, like command prompt: go to notepad and put in this code:

@echo off
break off
title Command Prompt
color 0a
cls

:cmd
set /p cmd=Command:

%cmd%
echo.
goto cmd

Then save it as [filename].bat

If all else fails you can always pull the ethernet code LOL. :twisted:

Err... Sorry, but I'd have to object. Even though I had staff access at my school, legally, by helping them... OUR command prompt was blocked. Not trying to spoil it here, but then what would you do?

I got the privilege of working with these people. Now, I got lucky, because there was some sort.. Of "bug," again- for lack of a better term, that I could just take advantage of. It was really interesting - I'd still love to know how it happened, but my computer at home is imaged like those - a minor request from my last day as a Freshman staff user there.

But, getting by without a command prompt...

I am not quite sure, it's been a while, but going into a command prompt would be like a much simpler and easier-to-understand way. Open up Notepad and Copy and Paste this:

Code: Select all
command.com

And save it as <Name here>.BAT <- It's a batch file, of course.
Under saving type, just make sure it says "ALL FILES."

Then, try to put it into a CD, Floppy Diskette (If they still have those), or maybe even a thumb/flash drive, if you got it.

See you around.
Timeghost
New User
New User

Next

Return to Malware