Writing Viruses

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

Re: Writing Viruses

Post by mbigboss21 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:41 am
([msg=21173]see Re: Writing Viruses[/msg])

:lol: i was about to say i think theres more viruses on windows cause people dont like Bill Gates
mbigboss21
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Monica on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:19 pm
([msg=21194]see Re: Writing Viruses[/msg])

It's not because OF Microsoft that there are viruses on the Windows OS.

It's because OF the USERS. Inexperienced Windows users are susceptible to such malicious objects.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bigfish on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:19 am
([msg=21450]see Re: Writing Viruses[/msg])

but with linux being open source anybody making viruses for it has all the code there... and can see exactly how to break it...

so it should be easier to make viruses for them..
bigfish
New User
New User

Post by AtlasDark on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:02 am
([msg=21452]see Re: Writing Viruses[/msg])

In theory, yes; however, deploying malware against the most widely used OS will get more exposure than, per se, someone that found out how to remote exploit a specific Linspire distro.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by r-ID on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:58 am
([msg=21456]see Re: Writing Viruses[/msg])

1) Viruses are not a problem. Viruses are really rare campared to worms. Worm are not virus!!!
2) Every nix is different, and an exploit should be written for every distro. This is the most important reason.
3) Processes with network access in nix does not run as root. WTF do you need to run it as root?
4) fixes for bugs are public at the same day as exploit cames out. And you don't need to wait a few weeks or few months till ms publishes it.
5) Windows is really, really insucure. Try to use windows xp with default configuration and with network access for 1 day :D If you have an external ip you will get atleast 5 different worms. By the information of one site, it takes less than 5 minutes to get windows compromized in such case.
6) I do remember old windows xp privilege management. You run a program who starts a service, and all services gets SYSTEM provileges, even if you run a program as Guest. What kind of privilege management is that?
7) How to secure windows: None of antivirus software protects you! None. I was using 2 most popular antivirus software for few months and my system was compromized. Firewall is the solution! i used firewall for 3 years without any antivirus software, and my system was secure. You just have to configure it right: enable communication with ISP and to give access to the programs you are using, irc client, browser etc. every else including stupid requests to 137 135, pings and other should be disabled. Find a program which informs you about every packet.
r-ID
Poster
Poster

Post by YayPython on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:36 am
([msg=21570]see Re: Writing Viruses[/msg])

r-ID wrote:1) Viruses are not a problem. Viruses are really rare campared to worms. Worm are not virus!!!
2) Every nix is different, and an exploit should be written for every distro. This is the most important reason.
3) Processes with network access in nix does not run as root. WTF do you need to run it as root?
4) fixes for bugs are public at the same day as exploit cames out. And you don't need to wait a few weeks or few months till ms publishes it.
5) Windows is really, really insucure. Try to use windows xp with default configuration and with network access for 1 day :D If you have an external ip you will get atleast 5 different worms. By the information of one site, it takes less than 5 minutes to get windows compromized in such case.
6) I do remember old windows xp privilege management. You run a program who starts a service, and all services gets SYSTEM provileges, even if you run a program as Guest. What kind of privilege management is that?
7) How to secure windows: None of antivirus software protects you! None. I was using 2 most popular antivirus software for few months and my system was compromized. Firewall is the solution! i used firewall for 3 years without any antivirus software, and my system was secure. You just have to configure it right: enable communication with ISP and to give access to the programs you are using, irc client, browser etc. every else including stupid requests to 137 135, pings and other should be disabled. Find a program which informs you about every packet.

1) Okay.
2)What? How's that a reason? lol
3)I think that's a contradiction there.
4) I know, that's awesome. That's a very good thing about Linux.
5) My computer has no antivirus software, default configuration, and no viruses/worms. Do you have proof to that statement?
6) That's another thing wrong with Windows. Also, installers have complete control.
7) Yeah, try explaining that to the majority of computer illiterate Windows users.
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by AtlasDark on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:15 am
([msg=21573]see Re: Writing Viruses[/msg])

Reason 2 was valid due to the fact that every distro makes modifications to the stock kernel - why do you think Linux is ubiquitous, rather than just a consolidated OS? It's because the system itself is open-source and subject to modification and rerelease.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by Tentra on Fri May 01, 2009 8:22 pm
([msg=22984]see Re: Writing Viruses[/msg])

bigfish wrote:but with linux being open source anybody making viruses for it has all the code there... and can see exactly how to break it...

so it should be easier to make viruses for them..

This also allows anyone in the world to help fix bugs and vulnerabilities instead of a small development team.

The efforts almost cancel out between the two groups (Virus writers and OS devs). So its not that big of a deal.
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Post by haha01haha01 on Wed May 20, 2009 3:01 pm
([msg=24045]see Re: Writing Viruses[/msg])

Monica wrote:It's not because OF Microsoft that there are viruses on the Windows OS.

It's because OF the USERS. Inexperienced Windows users are susceptible to such malicious objects.

This.
A very basic rule in security\hacking is that the user is always the biggest vulnerability of a system.
There are 11 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, those who don't and those who already heard this joke.
haha01haha01
Poster
Poster

Post by AtlasDark on Wed May 20, 2009 5:14 pm
([msg=24052]see Re: Writing Viruses[/msg])

Problem: Computer not functioning normally
Solution: Remove end user
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Previous

Return to Malware