AntiVirus

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

AntiVirus

Post by Muskelmann098 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:44 pm
([msg=17694]see AntiVirus[/msg])

Hey, guys!

I'm trying to get together a topic where you can post an Anti-virus that you think is the best, and tell why you think it is. Please include what kind it is (ad-ware, spy-ware, anti-virus, whether it's free or not, etc), why you think it's good, any personal experience, and so on.
Muskelmann098
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: AntiVirus

Post by bird7727 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:52 pm
([msg=17710]see Re: AntiVirus[/msg])

Ad-Adware - Adware obviously. Very good, picked up a trojan others didn't
Spyware Doctor- Spyware, Virus, Trojan. Very very good, full scan in only 4 hours
Spybot Search and Destroy - Spyware. Ok, fast speed, small database though
Avast! Antivirus - Virus/Trojan. Very good, long time to run a full scan, but very customizable protection.

All free!
bird7727
New User
New User

Post by citizen14 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:58 pm
([msg=17976]see Re: AntiVirus[/msg])

I have Avast, It's a really good and reliable program. (long scan time) Does anyone use Zonealarm?
citizen14
New User
New User

Post by kiddietron on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:19 am
([msg=18265]see Re: AntiVirus[/msg])

AVG is pretty good.

If you're willing to pay for an antivirus software I would recommend norton.
--Advertising's a no-no. :)
kiddietron
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by ajisroot on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:36 am
([msg=19716]see Re: AntiVirus[/msg])

Kaspersky Internet security 2009. Short of that, I think Norton IS 09 is a close second. Both have great protection imo. I like them because they slow down my pc the least, and I see the fewest amount of issues with them.

Mcafee: Slow's you down and can seriously screw up an internet connection. Protection is terrible

Trend:Gray circle of infinite loading... (Sometimes Trend can break in a way that will cause it to eternally load at boot, and you have to un-install and reinstall to get it going.) And I don't think all that much of the protection.

Webroot: Biggest problem I have with it is the interface. Protection is meh

CAS: Pain in the ass to remove, and can really screw up a computer. Protection is good, but when it breaks, doesn't seem worth it to me.

All the other nortons: Take forever to do anything, slow down your pc a lot, and can stop IE from working... which isn't necessarily a bad thing... good way to start someone on Firefox. Protection is decent.

AVG: Don't think this has the best protection, and updates every once in a while are a pain, but other than that, ok.

Avast: Don't see much of it, so it must be pretty good, but I still like my Kaspersky 8-)
ajisroot
New User
New User

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:33 pm
([msg=19823]see Re: AntiVirus[/msg])

Norton is absolute shit
there is no nicer way to say it

its gotten better as of late, but that doesnt change the fact its resource hungry, not to mention in my experience working as a computer tech, there were a lot of viruses norton missed frequently. Also because it is the most common it is the most prone to attack

most computer users dont realize that windows shouldnt take 5-10 minutes to boot up, they think thats normal, and they think that since they have protection they shouldnt have anything
what they dont realize is some viruses dont have many symptoms other than slowing down their computer until its too late and they stole their credit information or something like that

norton is expensive, it is slow, not user friendly (i mean come on, for a while they made you download a program to uninstall their product, that they didnt tell you about by the way. They expected you to find it. You couldnt uninstall it like normal, well you could, but if you did and went to install another antivirus 9/10 it would say their was another antivirus installed and would abort) and most of all its not very effective

and dont even get me started about how much a piece of garbage norton 360 is

personally i like avast, its free, easy to use, doesnt slow down your computer (although the down side is, when doing a scan its a little slower than some others) although i do like the feature to run a scan whenever your screen saver comes up

other good ones are antivir, avg and trendmicro
those are ones ive personally delt with and like

also, another program i love with viruses is combofix
it doesnt continually run or even block, but if you get infected that usually works, not to mention it easily gets rid of that pesky "Windows Antivirus 2008/2009" virus
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Return to Malware