need help getting rid of a trojan without purchasing an AV

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

need help getting rid of a trojan without purchasing an AV

Post by happyday2511 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:39 am
([msg=77377]see need help getting rid of a trojan without purchasing an AV[/msg])

so im new at this whole hacking thing, but im trying to help out my brother. he thinks that he has had a trojan on his laptop for about six months now, is there any way that i can find and destroy this trojan manually?

-- Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:08 am --

upon furthur research, it seems like it might also be an FBI moneypak virus. if that helps at all???
happyday2511
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: need help getting rid of a trojan without purchasing an AV

Post by Goatboy on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:16 am
([msg=77378]see Re: need help getting rid of a trojan without purchasing an AV[/msg])

Standard procedure is to boot into safe mood and run Malwarebytes. That solves 90% of problems.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by happyday2511 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:22 am
([msg=77379]see Re: need help getting rid of a trojan without purchasing an AV[/msg])

thank you, i will see if that works.

-- Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:24 am --

my brother does not seem to have any sort of protection on his computer whatsoever, any other suggestions?

-- Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:31 am --

oh, and right when the main desktop screen is supposed to appear all you get is a white screen so you cant even do anything with the computer to install an antimalware/virus protection.
happyday2511
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:10 am
([msg=77380]see Re: need help getting rid of a trojan without purchasing an AV[/msg])

People argue over what AV to use. I never buy them, since common sense + a free AV is good enough. I use AVG at home. Sorta clunky but it works. SpyBot is always a nice addon too.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:47 am
([msg=77381]see Re: need help getting rid of a trojan without purchasing an AV[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:People argue over what AV to use. I never buy them, since common sense + a free AV is good enough. I use AVG at home. Sorta clunky but it works. SpyBot is always a nice addon too.

Also note that most hard hitting hackers will probably have their programs FUD against AV.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by limdis on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:02 am
([msg=77384]see Re: need help getting rid of a trojan without purchasing an AV[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:Also note that most hard hitting hackers will probably have their programs FUD against AV.

FUD = Fully Undetected.

Spyboy S&D is my personal favorite to use. Also the FBI Moneypack virus is extremely apparent if you have it.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by ghost107 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:56 am
([msg=77386]see Re: need help getting rid of a trojan without purchasing an AV[/msg])

If the AV does not detect I use ProcessExplorer and Autoruns from sysinternals(most of them are not attached to any program, they use the registry, for the OS to run them automatically ), but if the trojan ruined your OS a clean install of the OS will fix it.
Some times trying to remove a maliceous application from computer manually would be hard, sometimes they have backup that reinstalls themselves in your system when you try to remove them or it will not let you do anything(ex: reboots the computer). it is better to boot from a live OS and scan the system from there, scan the regystry as well.

And for AV I suggest getting a Free edition of the AV, because you will need basic protection(I use Avast free edition, the reason is it consumes less CPU and RAM then other AV).
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Return to Malware