Can anyone help me to decrypt this...

The fear of every surveillance society: citizens protecting their own privacy with strong cryptography

Re: Can anyone help me to decrypt this...

Post by shaqywacky on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:59 pm
([msg=67485]see Re: Can anyone help me to decrypt this...[/msg])

To add to what logical said. Hashes are used very extensively outside of just storing passwords. One major place, that you've probably seen, is in file verification. When you download a file, it will often have a hash associated with it. To make there were no problems with the file download you can hash the file and compare it to the known hash of the file. If those two match, then the file is intact, if not, you should download it again. This is also done on a lower level. I'm not completely sure ATM but I think it's layer 2 of the OSI model that computes a CRC(a type of hash) on the incoming packets to check if there were any problems.

Probably one of the largest areas hashes are used is in database search optimization. Hashes can be used to make searching through a database much faster. I don't think google publishes it method for searching it's databases but you can be sure it's a very complex situation involving hashes. This is a very large(and very interesting) subject, so I'll just leave it at that.
shaqywacky
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Can anyone help me to decrypt this...

Post by samethings on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:30 pm
([msg=67487]see Re: Can anyone help me to decrypt this...[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:
samethings wrote:Or do you know any other example that might give me to understand where this hash is used for.

Lets say you created and were in charge of a database and one of the tables included user info. Within this table was a field called passwords. You wouldn't and shouldn't store the user passwords in plain text. If it were to get hacked the hacker would have everyone's password who was registered within the database. So before storing it in the table you would hash it and then store the hashed value instead of the actual password. When a user logs in it takes the password entered hashes it, and then compares the hashed value to that stored within the database to verify the the correct user. If your going to google this, I would also check out "salting hashes" to getter a better understanding of this concept.

Awesome thanks a lot! Sorry for still asking, but I read about salt in wikipedia and I dont understand clearly what it means it needs too much space? So in a sense if I use my laptop to try to "break" a salted hash it would just "freeze" or get an error that it stuck, so technically if you have a super computer, would you be able to do it or would it still be hard?

I guess the more salt you put, the more salty it will "taste" hence harder to be decrypted. :D

Am I in the right thinking?
samethings
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Crypto