Decrypt Unicode

The fear of every surveillance society: citizens protecting their own privacy with strong cryptography

Decrypt Unicode

Post by Okeymaker on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:03 am
([msg=61045]see Decrypt Unicode[/msg])

Hey! Is there anyone here how knows how to decrypt Unicode?
As an exampel am I trying to decrypt the source code to robot unicorn attack which probaly is encoded in UTF-8.
~SEEK AND HEAL~ Failure
Okeymaker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Decrypt Unicode

Post by jgreen45 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:07 pm
([msg=61051]see Re: Decrypt Unicode[/msg])

As far as I know it isn't possible to encrypt, with a character encoding like unicode, anything; let alone a flash file. Unicode is just a way to interpret data values as characters, like ASCII.

As far as i can tell you are trying to decompile a flash game to edit values? You can use flasm, or flare to get a decompile. The difference between the two is that with flasm you can recompile the changed code. :ugeek:
I can't come to bed...
Someone is WRONG on the internet

http://xkcd.com/386/
jgreen45
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:22 pm
([msg=61052]see Re: Decrypt Unicode[/msg])

jgreen45 wrote:As far as I know it isn't possible to encrypt, with a character encoding like unicode, anything; let alone a flash file. Unicode is just a way to interpret data values as characters, like ASCII.

As far as i can tell you are trying to decompile a flash game to edit values? You can use flasm, or flare to get a decompile. The difference between the two is that with flasm you can recompile the changed code. :ugeek:

This^

It's similar with EXE files that are opened up in Notepad.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Okeymaker on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:30 pm
([msg=61104]see Re: Decrypt Unicode[/msg])

Thank you jgreen45. So an Unicode file cannot be encrypted? OKey... What is the meaning of "let alone" btw?

fashizzlepop wrote:It's similar with EXE files that are opened up in Notepad.

What do you mean? Do you mean that I can use flasm to decompile an exe file?
~SEEK AND HEAL~ Failure
Okeymaker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by jgreen45 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:22 pm
([msg=61113]see Re: Decrypt Unicode[/msg])

Okeymaker wrote:Thank you jgreen45. So an Unicode file cannot be encrypted?

Unicode is just a way to read data a Character encoding, for instance over the internet the bits and bytes are sent to my computer. Since the internet has changed over the years different methods exist to read these bits in different ways. Unicode is one of these ways of interpreting data Windows-1252 is another. For instance HTS Forums use Unicode, you can see this in the source code:

Code: Select all
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

Unicode is in no way a form of encryption. A file encoded (not encrypted) with Unicode can be encrypted just like any other file.

Okeymaker wrote:What is the meaning of "let alone" btw?

I use it normally in the terms of 'even less likely' but I don't think that's a dictionary definition. 8-)

Okeymaker wrote:
fashizzlepop wrote:It's similar with EXE files that are opened up in Notepad.
<br>What do you mean? Do you mean that I can use flasm to decompile an exe file?

Fash was referring to how, when you open an EXE file in notepad sometimes parts of it are readable as opposed to being a random garble of letters. You can change these values and still have a working .exe, with some modifications ;). Flasm is used to decompile a flash file into a human readable-ish text file you can edit, similar to Fash's example, but I doubt it works with a .exe.
I can't come to bed...
Someone is WRONG on the internet

http://xkcd.com/386/
jgreen45
Poster
Poster

Post by Okeymaker on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:10 am
([msg=61314]see Re: Decrypt Unicode[/msg])

I know what Unicodes is, and I know a bit of how to hex edit. My point was, that if I only use a specific plane of the Unicode "alphabete", (for example the Supplementary Multilingual Plane) and I know in which order the chars should be placed (the bidi-algoritm is made for that I think), I should technically be able to encrypt it.
But however, if this never is done in practise, you have given me all the answers I needed. Thx :)
~SEEK AND HEAL~ Failure
Okeymaker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Crypto