reliable proxy for countrywide block

The fear of every surveillance society: citizens protecting their own privacy with strong cryptography

reliable proxy for countrywide block

Post by ton_roy007 on Sun May 30, 2010 6:34 am
([msg=39276]see reliable proxy for countrywide block[/msg])

Okay, so get this, facebook has been blocked (officially temporarily) in Bangladesh just because some idiot opened a fake profile in the Prime Minister's name and uploaded "satiric" images. Now whatever the government does with the guy is their concern, but why block a website from the entire population. There are around 100K FB users in this country and it was proving to be a place for practicing our freedom of speech as blogs aren't much popular here. Now, can anyone give me any idea how to bypass this government country wide blockade? I tried several web proxies but since they are from totally different places from where I usually log in, FB gives me a security captcha which depends on ajax. And so far I haven't found any web proxy that can give me the ajax as well. And now my account is blocked until I fill up the captcha and I can't even go to m.facebook.com from these proxy sites. Any help from anyone will be really appreciated. This is a great blow on our right to freedom of speech and a violation of our constitution as well. So please help me bypass this block.
ton_roy007
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: reliable proxy for countrywide block

Post by thedotmaster on Sun May 30, 2010 9:50 am
([msg=39278]see Re: reliable proxy for countrywide block[/msg])

Look into Tor: http://www.torproject.org/
Good luck.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by Goatboy on Sun May 30, 2010 10:49 am
([msg=39280]see Re: reliable proxy for countrywide block[/msg])

I second this notion. Tor was pretty much designed for doing exactly what you want to do: evade censorship. You'll notice a pretty big performance hit in most situations, but it's worth it. It runs on just about any platform, so you won't have to install another OS to use it. If you need help with it, ask in this thread.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by FunctionCreep on Sun May 30, 2010 11:25 am
([msg=39286]see Re: reliable proxy for countrywide block[/msg])

You could also check: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2464/ if you are running firefox.

The addon is called foxy proxy and allows you to setup a proxy that you wish. Firefox already has the ability to set a custom proxy and foxyproxy has a few more advanced options.

A list of free proxies you could use: http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/proxylists.html
"I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free." ~ Nikos Kazantzakis
FunctionCreep
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Goatboy on Sun May 30, 2010 12:04 pm
([msg=39287]see Re: reliable proxy for countrywide block[/msg])

The only thing FoxyProxy does is make it easier to switch between proxies, It doesn't actually go out and pick one for you. ton_roy needs one with AJAX enabled, which FoxyProxy has no control over.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by ton_roy007 on Mon May 31, 2010 1:48 pm
([msg=39347]see Re: reliable proxy for countrywide block[/msg])

thanks a lot to the dot master for the idea on tor. It was awesome. someone else had given me the idea about an executable named the freegate. But tor's much much better. And func creep, as goatboy said foxy proxy is useless. I mean I can use the built in proxy option in firefox anyway. And facebook can detect these proxies and gives a anti proxy header. So tor was the only good solution. Thanks again to the d master
ton_roy007
New User
New User

Post by FunctionCreep on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:22 pm
([msg=39510]see Re: reliable proxy for countrywide block[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:The only thing FoxyProxy does is make it easier to switch between proxies, It doesn't actually go out and pick one for you. ton_roy needs one with AJAX enabled, which FoxyProxy has no control over.

That's why I mentioned the proxy list.

I probably misunderstood what he was trying to do by failing to fully understand the whole captcha issue he was experiencing. Sorry for the mis-information ton_roy.
"I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free." ~ Nikos Kazantzakis
FunctionCreep
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Crypto