Can anyone break this?

The fear of every surveillance society: citizens protecting their own privacy with strong cryptography

Can anyone break this?

Post by Bren2010 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:09 pm
([msg=35710]see Can anyone break this?[/msg])

I made a encryption/decryption algorithm a bit ago, and want to see how secure it is. You can find the encryption/decryption algorithms for download at my site ("Enc/Dec Algorithm 2.0"), I don't mind if you look at the code for it, but please don't just brute force the decryption function.

Code: Select all
5zz:w.hTl!{,:0S&9>K[hk;RAC#shku~41Vn94hGjr7">,K@h"Qk^gKQ@yC:KAn@d

Please tell me if you do it without looking at the code, if you do look, or if you just brute forced it. :)

-- Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:18 pm --

Ok, just wondering. This thread has had 100 views in 9 days, and my algorithm's downloads have been downloaded more frequently than any other one on there, and no one has said anything. Can the people who have tried at least post something. Something like "this skript kiddie algorithm isn't worth my time" or "idk dude, to complex" would be helpful.
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Can anyone break this?

Post by TheNightFox on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:57 am
([msg=36378]see Re: Can anyone break this?[/msg])

Well, I have virtually no cryptography skills, so I can't. But what I can say is that if you ask people not to brute force it, then it probably isn't very good. A good code is one that can't be cracked, not one that can be cracked in certain ways.
He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.
TheNightFox
New User
New User

Post by nermd on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:26 am
([msg=36385]see Re: Can anyone break this?[/msg])

TheNightFox wrote:Well, I have virtually no cryptography skills, so I can't. But what I can say is that if you ask people not to brute force it, then it probably isn't very good. A good code is one that can't be cracked, not one that can be cracked in certain ways.

lol fail!
With this world there is no understanding, we belong their only to the extent, as we rebel against it (Theodor W. Adorno) --> if somebody knows a "official" translation for the well known german quote ... pls let me know!
nermd
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:37 am
([msg=36395]see Re: Can anyone break this?[/msg])

Any code can be broken with brute-force. The problem is the amount of time needed to crack a code in that method.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Bren2010 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:09 pm
([msg=36411]see Re: Can anyone break this?[/msg])

TheNightFox wrote:Well, I have virtually no cryptography skills, so I can't. But what I can say is that if you ask people not to brute force it, then it probably isn't very good. A good code is one that can't be cracked, not one that can be cracked in certain ways.

I didn't want to say it, TheNightFox, but I thought people knew that brute-forcing anything is a skript-kiddies way out of any situation and requires no skill, nor intelligence. I wanted to see who is smart enough to understand and reverse the algorithm, not who can download the most useless software and run it through that.
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by Syncvoid on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:56 pm
([msg=36414]see Re: Can anyone break this?[/msg])

Bren2010 wrote:

I didn't want to say it, TheNightFox, but I thought people knew that brute-forcing anything is a skript-kiddies way out of any situation and requires no skill, nor intelligence. I wanted to see who is smart enough to understand and reverse the algorithm, not who can download the most useless software and run it through that.

You may call it script kiddie, but the fact of the matter is, if it can be broken by brute force in a timely manner, there is just no reason not too. If you're testing your ability to Encrypt it would be advantageous to know how well you stack up against a brute force attack. I wouldn't really call using a tool to solve a password problem script kiddie either. There is no sense in creating more work for yourself just to prove a point.

In any case, with my two cents said, when i get home I might play around with it, I am not an expert either, but why not test some?
Syncvoid
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:32 pm
([msg=36435]see Re: Can anyone break this?[/msg])

Bren2010 wrote:

That's ridiculous. Even if we can't reverse it, if it's bruteforceable within a reasonable amount of time, the algorithm is complete shit.

Also, bruteforcing is not a "skiddie's way out". You can't cry "that's not fair!" when someone bruteforces your algorithm. It's your fault if it's bruteforceable.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Bren2010 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:41 pm
([msg=36436]see Re: Can anyone break this?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:
Bren2010 wrote:

That's ridiculous. Even if we can't reverse it, if it's bruteforceable within a reasonable amount of time, the algorithm is complete shit.

Also, bruteforcing is not a "skiddie's way out". You can't cry "that's not fair!" when someone bruteforces your algorithm. It's your fault if it's bruteforceable.

Ok then. Brute force it, and give me the total time, and your shit-rating from 1 to 10.

I'm not crying "that's not fair!" if someone brute forces any of my code, I agree if it's brute forceable then it is my fault. However, you can't deny that brute forcing requires the least amount of skill. Any teenager can download Cain & Able and put hashes they h4x0r3d into it.
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Return to Crypto