Just wondering..

The fear of every surveillance society: citizens protecting their own privacy with strong cryptography

Just wondering..

Post by iistapp on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:52 am
([msg=29991]see Just wondering..[/msg])

Hello,

Is there a program or anything a like that can encrypt whole folders? Or even your whole harddriver?

As I don't like people sneaking around on my computer when i'm not at home, and I know this is silly but whatever password I put on the comp they crack it..
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Just wondering..

Post by sandsphinx on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:02 am
([msg=29992]see Re: Just wondering..[/msg])

tbh how the hell can they crack a windows password, the only way i have ever heard of requires login in anyway. :S

But i think there is a sfotware that will encrypt files but not the hard drive, and its called "Power Crypt" and "True Crypt"
sandsphinx
Poster
Poster

Post by mischief on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:19 am
([msg=29993]see Re: Just wondering..[/msg])

there's bitlocker and truecrypt for windows, however i believe these can be broken with the cold-boot attack.

furthermore, windows password hashes can be dumped (and then cracked), at least in XP and i am fairly confident in vista as well. unsure about windows 7.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:44 am
([msg=29994]see Re: Just wondering..[/msg])

sandsphinx wrote:tbh how the hell can they crack a windows password, the only way i have ever heard of requires login in anyway. :S

But i think there is a sfotware that will encrypt files but not the hard drive, and its called "Power Crypt" and "True Crypt"

If I have physical access to any Windows XP computer, I can get in within 30-45 seconds, regardless of how good their password is. The 30-45 is based on how long it takes the computer to boot. The actual process is only about 10-15 seconds.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by sandsphinx on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:03 pm
([msg=29998]see Re: Just wondering..[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:
sandsphinx wrote:tbh how the hell can they crack a windows password, the only way i have ever heard of requires login in anyway. :S

If I have physical access to any Windows XP computer, I can get in within 30-45 seconds, regardless of how good their password is. The 30-45 is based on how long it takes the computer to boot. The actual process is only about 10-15 seconds.

That's what i meant, why would he allow people physical access to his computer if he is getting hacked all the time...?
sandsphinx
Poster
Poster

Post by iistapp on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:59 pm
([msg=30002]see Re: Just wondering..[/msg])

The reason they always have access to my computer is because I got one at my mom's place and one at my own place. And I do not like it when some smart ass friend of my brother is looking around on my comp or whatever they are doing (games I guess) but you never know..

Anyways! Thanks for the info, I will check out Power Crypt and True Crypt ASAP :-)
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by thedotmaster on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:26 am
([msg=30021]see Re: Just wondering..[/msg])

Whilst you could faff around with all that windows crap, you could also install Linux seeing as most/all distros allow you to set up encrypted filesystems.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by iistapp on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:11 am
([msg=30027]see Re: Just wondering..[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:Whilst you could faff around with all that windows crap, you could also install Linux seeing as most/all distros allow you to set up encrypted filesystems.

Yes I would indeed like to try Linux for a change :)

Well, thanks for the help guys! Realy learned something new today as well :)
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Return to Crypto