What keys and algorithms this is talking about?

The fear of every surveillance society: citizens protecting their own privacy with strong cryptography

What keys and algorithms this is talking about?

Post by ghostheadx2 on Tue May 19, 2015 12:15 am
([msg=88110]see What keys and algorithms this is talking about?[/msg])

I found this site and I wanted to know what some of the terminology is behind this and different options I could try for a code:

http://www.tools4noobs.com/online_tools/decrypt/

It says to enter a key. It also says to enter algorithms. When I Googled algorithms, I get this:

http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/data/encryption.htm

So its a glossary. But its useless unless when looking at an encrypted message, I can have an idea of which ones to try. Also, could someone go in depth of the specific algorithms on the first web site I posted?

Secondly, when I google keys, I get symmetric, assymetric, and hashes. From my understanding, symmetric is like a Caesar cipher, assymetric is harder to get, and hashes are a scramble that can't be decrypted. Could someone explain those better and give common examples that I could try in website #1 to decrypt a message? Thanks.

:D
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What keys and algorithms this is talking about?

Post by pretentious on Wed May 20, 2015 6:11 am
([msg=88124]see Re: What keys and algorithms this is talking about?[/msg])

An algorithm is a set of instructions. When you're learning to beat rubix cubes, you use 'algorithms'. You don't need to get caught up in terminology. Basically there are many ways people have established to hide and encode messages.
ghostheadx2 wrote:Secondly, when I google keys, I get symmetric, assymetric, and hashes. From my understanding, symmetric is like a Caesar cipher, assymetric is harder to get, and hashes are a scramble that can't be decrypted. Could someone explain those better and give common examples that I could try in website #1 to decrypt a message?

I'm a bit rusty but https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/246071 says
symmertic is where you encrypt something using a password. if you have the password, you can reverse it.
assymetric is where you have a public and private key. You can encrypt with the public but only the private can decrypt it, this is pretty much the foundation of our secure web browsing, you can send a symmetric key that you're using to encrypt your traffic, to the server, encrypted with their public key. No one else can figure out what your key is because only the server has the pirvate key to decrypt it. Then they have your symmertic key and can decrypt your data stream. Again, I'm a little rusty but I think this is where the one time pad comes in and probably something about 3 way hand shakes.

hashing is kinda sorta in it's own field, it's an information digest. You use a algorithm that can take information and create a 'key', this key is one way, in the sence that while it can be reversed, it is mathematically more efficient to try every possible initial state and compare it to the output, than it is to reverse the output to an initial state. This is mostly used for storing passwords because you don't want to reverse them, only compare them to the users input, and to compare files.

I don't know if any of that is comprehensible or even true. Have fun :D
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Crypto