Cracking Rar Pass

The fear of every surveillance society: citizens protecting their own privacy with strong cryptography

Cracking Rar Pass

Post by Rockl13 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:35 am
([msg=78150]see Cracking Rar Pass[/msg])

i want to learn about cryptography, i have read about public-key, digital signatures, md5, etc.

So something came up to my mind, how the cryptography works on a .rar file. Let's say i create a .txt file in blank, or maybe some random string in it and then i use winrar to compress the file and put a 3 letter password. If i want to go a little further, let's say, i don't know like 6 letter password with capital and lower case and maybe special characters too.

How can i figure out the hash the winrar used for the password or is there any way that i can crack this file?

Just for learning purposes, i want to learn how this thing works.
Rockl13
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cracking The Bass

Post by WallShadow on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:45 am
([msg=78151]see Re: Cracking The Bass[/msg])

normally, cryptographic algorithms like the one that winrar uses are very secure and there is no way you could tell the hash just by looking at the encrypted file. the only real way to get the hash is to try passwords at random and hope that the hash is correct and decrypt the file with it. that's why cracking it could take so long, because you need to decrypt the file for each possible password until you find one that works.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cracking Rar Pass

Post by Rockl13 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:04 pm
([msg=78153]see Re: Cracking Rar Pass[/msg])

is that so? hmmm, very interesting. So if i want to understand this i have to head for other ways?

but i'll try with the hash generated by the rar, do you know of some article or document that explain this?

thank you so much for taking the time to answer this question.
Rockl13
New User
New User

Return to Crypto