New(old) Linux machine

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

New(old) Linux machine

Post by Korpcake on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:23 pm
([msg=74098]see New(old) Linux machine[/msg])

Hi, I'm really new to HTS as you can probably see as this is my first post.

Anyway, been doing a lot of reading and after fumbling my way through a few challenges I've decided I'm going to start learning to use Linux.

Now, I've recently bought a new MSI laptop.. man its a monster.. And i know i could dual boot it but i am curious if my old one, a 32 bit acer built in 2007, would run Ubuntu well enough to do basic things. Mainly reading tutorials on W3Schools, HTS, and wherever that leads me.

I've read that Linux doesn't require a ton of resources but i have close to zero experience with it, so i wanted to ask before i wiped windows 7 off of my old one.
Korpcake
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New(old) Linux machine

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:40 pm
([msg=74099]see Re: New(old) Linux machine[/msg])

It's true that it has less support.

I recommend first to back all your shit up. I really don't want to see another post about a person who fucked up their os and is clueless on what the hell happened. Just make sure you know what you are doing first and back up your files.

Next, I recommend that you just try it out on a virtual machine such as virtualbox. This should allow you to see exactly how it works and the software it can use.

Also note that you can just dual boot and keep your windows os as well...
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by weekend hacker on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:59 pm
([msg=74236]see Re: New(old) Linux machine[/msg])

The 32bit acer will work fine with ubuntu. And although VM's are usefull as ninjex said, if given a choice I'd pick a dedicated old machine for testing over a vm.
There is something soothing about holding it in your hands and being able to physically throw it when you fuck up. Gives you way more reasons to not fuck up and you might learn a thing or 2 about non-default drivers in the process. (although with ubuntu you probably never have to care about any of that)
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 5ilic0n on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 am
([msg=75343]see Re: New(old) Linux machine[/msg])

When I started using linux, I used a live distro without installing anything first. A VM works fine too I guess...

But definitely go with a live distro first. Super easy, no risk involved.
5ilic0n
New User
New User

Return to *nix