Distributions

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Re: Distributions

Post by nathandelane on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:13 pm
([msg=5855]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

My favorite distribution would have to, out of necessity, be any Debian-based distro. I use both Ubuntu-Server and gNewSense regularly. One of the reasons I like Debian so much is because of Apt. Apt is so much better at resolving dependencies than RPM-based systems. I also like Debian because it is GNU-supported. Of course there are also commercial and non-free products available through some apt repositories - and I use those when there is a need, most notably for connecting to Microsoft Exchange server (Ximian Exchange is non-free). I have also used CentOS in the past as well as Fedora Core for servers; CentOS is based on Red Hat Enterprise Edition, whereas Fedora Core is acceptably the beta product of Red Hat. Fedora Core 4, for example, was the image of what Red Hat 9 would be when it was released, minus the non-free portions of the product. But Red Hat Linux, it should be noted, is also open source, it's just commercialized, which most open source licenses do not prohibit.

Anyway, most of the stuff I do is in text mode, which I guess makes me kind of a Linux power-user. But I also like OpenOffice.org, Eclipse, Kate, Konqueror, GNOME, KDE, and all of the other GUIfied programs that are available for Linux. I've spent a lot of time as well on installing Gentoo, which I was very proud of. And also on compiling programs that don't come in binary form. I don't have any complaints about Linux. I love it and that power I get from it.

So there you have it :)

Nathan Lane
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by beagle on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:39 am
([msg=9856]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

masonga95 wrote:/me is shot

LOL, what is this, IRC? ;)
Anyway, I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows Vista, and I really would have to go with Ubuntu as my favorite distro. Not only is it easy to install, but its easy to use, customizable, pretty, and powerful.
That's just my opinion, and I now brace myself for verbal assault.
beagle
Poster
Poster

Post by The Lieutenant on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:09 pm
([msg=10332]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

I use Ubuntu mainly. I know a lot of people call Ubuntu users n00bs, but it can be used by experienced users as well. Just because I don't have to use a command line doesn't mean I can't.
The Lieutenant
New User
New User

Post by ysNoi on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:42 am
([msg=10357]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

eweb100 wrote:What do you think of Ubuntu?

Ubuntu needs practically no maintenance, I don't need to take care of viruses, spyware, defragging the hard drive and cleaning the registry.

I also love being able to install thousand s of different programs without buying any cd's or searching around the web and downloading the installers and the installing them one-by-one with the next-next-agree-next-reboot way.

Instead I just open the package manager, select what I want to install and click OK and everything is handled automatically for me.

Also keeping my computer and all software updated is easier as the same package manager handles every single piece of software on my computer.
ysNoi
New User
New User

Post by St8ofunrest on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:54 am
([msg=12229]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

I just wanted to add to this thread my experience. While I don`t have much experience with linux, I have the perspective of a new user. I believe this to be invaluable to new users or pre-new users ( if you will ) of linux. I tried to download various distributions by either netinstall or .iso. The problem I was having was none of the .iso`s worked for me, or they would boot and give me some kind of Kernel error ( which I didn`t understand ) but then I found this.

http://www.download.com/UNetbootin/3000 ... d=10863683

check it out. download the file Which takes less then 10 seconds, and the resulting utility will install just about any distribution of linux you like via a drop down menu. It will then proceed to guide you through partitioning you drive and deciding what packages you wish, ie. server, laptop, desktop, ect.

I partitioned my HD and installed debian in under 30 min. from download of said utility above to first boot up of my shinny new database server ready system

This option takes all the stress out of trying to switch from windows to linux. And you can get to the nitty gritty of learning *nix commands, programing ( not whilst under an oppressive system ) and well, really join the open-source community.

One final thought, and its a big one so read it slowly.

THANK god there are great people out there who saw fit to make information utilization technology that worked great and was free. Thank god for open-source.
St8ofunrest
New User
New User

Previous

Return to *nix