Virtual box - Installing a linux guest

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Virtual box - Installing a linux guest

Post by ampakine on Tue May 31, 2011 5:29 pm
([msg=57939]see Virtual box - Installing a linux guest[/msg])

When you're installing a linux guest do you need to make a SWAP partition? I'm on a Ubuntu host but I wanna install a few other distros as guests in virtual box. I read that you should make a SWAP partition thats twice as large as your RAM so since I have 2GB RAM I made a 4GB SWAP partition when I installed Ubuntu. For linux guests in virtual box on the other hand I'm obviously not gonna dedicate 4GB for a SWAP partition for every guest I have but I'm guessing virtual box guests can't use the same SWAP partition that the host uses so I'm wondering what kinda SWAP partitions I should give each guest OS.
ampakine
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Virtual box - Installing a linux guest

Post by msbachman on Tue May 31, 2011 6:46 pm
([msg=57944]see Re: Virtual box - Installing a linux guest[/msg])

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

-- Tue May 31, 2011 7:02 pm --

Whoops I totally neglected to consider it being virtual, that link's just about swap space in general.

Truth be told, I can't give a definitive answer but depending on the RAM usage you foresee on the v. hosts as well as available disk space, if neither are bottlenecks for you, I'd allocate swap for virtual hosts as you would for any other.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to *nix