operating system on 10 MB with GUI

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

operating system on 10 MB with GUI

Post by b33tr00t on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:14 pm
([msg=55508]see operating system on 10 MB with GUI[/msg])

I wanted to find out which was the smallest functioning desktop linux distro and after some googleing I've decided to try out Tiny Core Linux. Didn't take too long to download the .iso file as it was 10MB only and that is the version with GUI. Without GUI it's 6MB only. I was not expecting much from such a small system so it was a nice surprise. It is very fast as it loads itself into memory at boot and there is no waiting for the HD after. Of course it's basic but it's functioning and was able to connect to the web without much tweaking. After that it is easy to add more stuff if you need. In a few minutes I had a fully customized system with everything I need, well under 50MB and it was much faster than any of the other installs I have. (I didn't try printing nor installing any development kit.)This made me wonder why on earth I would need new gear. Maybe I should just optimize my operating system instead. Any of you guys know a smaller but still functioning desktop?
b33tr00t
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: operating system on 10 MB with GUI

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:19 pm
([msg=55511]see Re: operating system on 10 MB with GUI[/msg])

I also like Tinycore. I have a bootable USB stick with Tinycore on it (somewhere in my drawer).

I don't think there's any distro that comes with a full GUI that's smaller than Tinycore. But I have to agree with you on tweaking the OS rather than buying a new system. A customized Linux Kernel can often do wonders for old hardware.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by kujinR on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:33 pm
([msg=56276]see Re: operating system on 10 MB with GUI[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:I also like Tinycore. I have a bootable USB stick with Tinycore on it (somewhere in my drawer).

So, I was thinking of making one for myself, however, Googling for it didn't help. A lot of the guides talk about having to install Tiny Core or boot it from a live CD before you can make the bootable USB.

I was wondering if there's a better way to do this?
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
"red = changed"
kujinR
Poster
Poster

Post by b33tr00t on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:03 am
([msg=56295]see Re: operating system on 10 MB with GUI[/msg])

You could try UNetbootin to install it without a CD.
b33tr00t
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:12 pm
([msg=58234]see Re: operating system on 10 MB with GUI[/msg])

kujinR wrote:
insomaniacal wrote:I also like Tinycore. I have a bootable USB stick with Tinycore on it (somewhere in my drawer).

So, I was thinking of making one for myself, however, Googling for it didn't help. A lot of the guides talk about having to install Tiny Core or boot it from a live CD before you can make the bootable USB.

I was wondering if there's a better way to do this?

Check out Linux From Scratch, really detailed and rewarding experience.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by mShred on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:39 pm
([msg=58236]see Re: operating system on 10 MB with GUI[/msg])

UNetbootin is good. I've also heard of Damn Small Linux, i believe that's what it's called. I tried it like a year ago but i can't remember if it proved worthy or not.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to *nix