Firefox - Manually shutting down an unresponsive script

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Firefox - Manually shutting down an unresponsive script

Post by fishtits on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:53 pm
([msg=52076]see Firefox - Manually shutting down an unresponsive script[/msg])

Every now and again firefox (and sometimes GNOME too) freezes up and the only way I can fix it is to force quit firefox and restart it or else wait for a message to come up that says something about an unresponsive script and asks me if I wanna shut it down. Theres no telling when this prompt will come up, if it comes up at all so I'm trying to find a way to shut down the script manually without having to wait for firefox to give me that prompt. Is there a shell command I can use to disable shutdown scripts like that? To shutdown firefox I type in "killall firefox" or "pgrep firefox" then kill the processes it lists, is there something similar I can do for scripts that firefox is trying to run?
fishtits
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Firefox - Manually shutting down an unresponsive script

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:34 am
([msg=52096]see Re: Firefox - Manually shutting down an unresponsive script[/msg])

I'm gonna go out on a whim here and say no. If a script locks up firefox, and Firefox hasn't spawned a new process to manage the script, then the only way would be to "killall firefox".

I didn't look this up anywhere, but this is my logical conclusion.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by sanddbox on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:27 pm
([msg=52117]see Re: Firefox - Manually shutting down an unresponsive script[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:I'm gonna go out on a whim here and say no. If a script locks up firefox, and Firefox hasn't spawned a new process to manage the script, then the only way would be to "killall firefox".

Which is one of the advantages of Google Chrome - every tab is its own process, allowing you to kill specific tabs (and granting more security).

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:19 pm
([msg=52194]see Re: Firefox - Manually shutting down an unresponsive script[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Which is one of the advantages of Google Chrome - every tab is its own process, allowing you to kill specific tabs (and granting more security).

Indeed, I'm also not 100% on this, but I think Mozilla was trying to implement something similar in Firefox 4.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Return to *nix