Trouble uninstalling apache2 on Ubuntu

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Trouble uninstalling apache2 on Ubuntu

Post by fishtits on Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:54 pm
([msg=50604]see Trouble uninstalling apache2 on Ubuntu[/msg])

EDIT: Wasn't actually hard at all, I just had to remove PHP5 and all associated packages before trying to remove apache2. I'll leave the thread there for educational purposes in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

I want to reinstall apache2 (installed on Ubuntu 11.04) completely but sudo apt-get reinstall does a half ass job that doesn't fix the problem I have so I decided to just uninstall it completely then reinstall it but this has proven to be an insanely difficult task for me. apt-get remove apache2 and apt-get purge apache2 didn't work at all so I resorted to using the synaptic package manager to remove every package associated with apache2 but heres where I'm stuck. When I try to remove either apache2.2-common or apache2.2-bin heres what it does
so I hit the apply button and let it install and remove those packages then try again and heres what it does
lol. As you can see I'm in a bit of a predicament here. If I go down and try and remove these packages one by one, I end up with a similar problem
Its obviously PHP packages that are causing me problems so I'm gonna manually remove everything to do with PHP and try again. This is clearly an idiotic approach to uninstalling an apache server, I'm guessing I coulda done this in a few steps rather than manually removing masses of packages. How should I have done this?
fishtits
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to *nix