First time

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Re: First time

Post by Tenshi04 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:38 pm
([msg=35604]see Re: First time[/msg])

Just a little question, in case i don't use linux for now, what tutorials would you recommend? I know i'll need linux, but i just can't stop using Windows like that you know.
Tenshi04
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by d3v11 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:17 pm
([msg=48350]see Re: First time[/msg])

If you can wrap your head around C/C++ then you'll find picking up most languages to be a breeze. Also, writing some bash scripts to automate some tasks for you is a great way to get your feet wet. Do some research on the following topics. They'll get you in the right mindset to program:

Functions
Variables
For loops
While loops
If, then, else statements
OOP ( object oriented programming)
Scripting Languages
Compiled vs Interpreted

You don't need linux to program, although I use linux for 99% of everything I do on a computer, especially programming. I find the environment easier to work with. Either way, you should still give linux a go. There are many great distros out there and you will probably find one of them very suiting.
"The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." - Sun Tzu
d3v11
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:26 pm
([msg=48351]see Re: First time[/msg])

Linux is an OS, meaning you don't really need any tutorials to get started. If you do start with a text-only version and want to install a graphical enviroment manually, you should have a grasp of basic terminal commands, and access to another computer to look stuff up.

Learning as you go is probably the best way.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Previous

Return to *nix