Why Ubuntu ?

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Why Ubuntu ?

Post by macdonald on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:34 am
([msg=21451]see Why Ubuntu ?[/msg])

It is said that Ubuntu is a 'Programmers OS', but what is the advantage of using Ubuntu over Windows ?
Ubuntu is very different from windows like its file system, file extensions etc. and this takes a little time and effort to be comfortable with Ubuntu.
Another question that is pondering me is that what is the advantage of learning bash ? Can the commands that I learn for bash be used somewhere else other than Ubuntu ?

I want to be a programmer, so please answer from the point of view of a programmer.

Thank you
macdonald
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Why Ubuntu ?

Post by AtlasDark on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:07 am
([msg=21453]see Re: Why Ubuntu ?[/msg])

Linux > Windows by stability and ease of use. I believe that Ubuntu is more of a general purpose OS, though the differentiations between Ubuntu and other distros is negligible - Linux software can easily be adapted to such distros using different distribution methods (I believe Ubuntu uses RPM/Deb?), though specialized distros exist for the sole purpose of penetration testing - however, it's simply a matter of taking a distro and adding preinstalled software.

I've little experience with Bash, though the OS itself is extremely easy to adapt to. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that bash is to Unix systems like batches are to Windows (well, that wasn't such a great analogy), integrated into the shell as an implementation of the kernel.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by macdonald on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:50 am
([msg=21486]see Re: Why Ubuntu ?[/msg])

With bash I meant the terminal or the command line. You can do everything in the terminal - granting permissions, cut copy paste of files, working under root powers, installing software etc. But these things can also be done in the GUI, so why to use the terminal ? What extra power does the terminal gives to a programmer ? This is my question.
macdonald
New User
New User

Post by 193zaitsev on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:11 pm
([msg=21509]see Re: Why Ubuntu ?[/msg])

Can the commands that I learn for bash be used somewhere else other than Ubuntu ?

Bash is installed on most GNU/Linux systems, so if you learn Bash on one distro, you can use the same syntax/commands on another distro. For example, I use Bash on my Debian system, on my Ubuntu LiveCD, on my class's Solaris box, and have it installed on my incomplete Linux From Scratch partition.

Another question that is pondering me is that what is the advantage of learning bash ?

It is mostly a preference, but I often use the command line for the simple reason that I am faster using it. Over time you'll start learning the commands and be able to do what you need off the top of your head. And, personally, I'm much faster at typing that traversing through menus and tabs with a mouse. Also, shells provide the ability to pipe input and output between process and files which can be very handy. In addition, you can use shell commands in shell scripts for things you want to do multiple times. For example, you could have a small script to backup all your code and make a copy of it in a new folder with different version number or similar things. Some more experience shell users that I could probably provide better examples.

I believe Ubuntu uses RPM/Deb?

Ubuntu uses .deb
193zaitsev
New User
New User

Post by SunSpyda on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:02 pm
([msg=22757]see Re: Why Ubuntu ?[/msg])

macdonald wrote:It is said that Ubuntu is a 'Programmers OS', but what is the advantage of using Ubuntu over Windows ?
Ubuntu is very different from windows like its file system, file extensions etc. and this takes a little time and effort to be comfortable with Ubuntu.
Another question that is pondering me is that what is the advantage of learning bash ? Can the commands that I learn for bash be used somewhere else other than Ubuntu ?

I want to be a programmer, so please answer from the point of view of a programmer.

Bash is just a shell created by the GNU people. It can be found on many non Linux systems like Solaris or the BSDs. The syntax on Bash is similar to that of Korn and the Bourne Shell, so you should be able to use other shells as well, but slight differences might occur, especially with shell scripting.

From a programmers point of view, I prefer Linux over Windows (Although I actually use BSD myself). Linux comes with compilers, assemblers, debuggers, profilers etc. Debuggers and profilers aren't on some Linuxes, but they are on most by default. I also like Vim, which Linux comes with, although there is a Windows version.

I usually program in whatever the program's target platform is. If I'm making a Windows app, I'll code it in Windows, so I can test it straight away. But as I said, I mostly code in *nix OSes.

Learning the CLI (Command Line Interface) is useful for a few reasons. For starters, there are a few things that still aren't consistent in the GUI, but are in the CLI. Secondly, you can become very fast when you use command history (Up and down cursor keys) and auto complete (Tab). Thirdly, nearly all *nix servers use CLIs, not GUIs, unless they are being administered by a CLI newbie.

Remember that Ubuntu isn't the only Linux. I wouldn't call Ubuntu the 'Programmers OS'. In fact Ubuntu is designed to be easy to use, not for programmers, although it can be used for such things. Slackware and Debian are more 'Programmer's' Linux OSes.
SunSpyda
New User
New User

Post by d3v11 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:31 pm
([msg=48418]see Re: Why Ubuntu ?[/msg])

If you've never used Linux I recommend Ubuntu. It's user friendly and the Debian based software system is as good as they come. In fact, I like Ubuntu's software installation/uninstallation process far better than windows. Ubuntu not only comes with several programming tools, but it also contains many others in the repositories that can be downloaded and installed with a simple:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install {the name of the software}

You don't need Linux to program, although I find it much easier to do so on Linux. The question is "Why Ubuntu?". My answer is why not? Don't get me wrong, there are many excellent Linux distros out there. I've used most of the majors at some point in time and I still find myself coming back to Ubuntu.

Also, you asked about bash. Bash is mostly interchangeable with *nix shell. It's a scripting language, although there is a compiler for it called shc. If you're going to write cross-platform applications or make any serious Linux software you will probably need to learn bash.
"The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." - Sun Tzu
d3v11
New User
New User

Return to *nix