a couple problems on ubuntu

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

a couple problems on ubuntu

Post by mestar on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:49 pm
([msg=19262]see a couple problems on ubuntu[/msg])

i just installed ubuntu and now i'm having trouble configuring it....it's a laptop machine.

1. the laptop is connected to a local area network, and i can make it work fine on the network, it connects thou the LAN on the internet, and.... well all is working fine, but when i turn off my laptop and turn it back on i'm forced to set the LAN network again, it's like linux forgets all the settings i've made..how to fix it?

2. i have a vodafone moblie connect card on the laptop, and for that to work i need a driver. which driver is the best and where can i find it?
i have downloaded a driver for that but when i try to install it it says:

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: python twisted

so i downloaded it and installed it, but then i asked for python-core so i installed it , then it asked for python-bin, ...... and i stoped when it asked me for python2.4-minimal i installed it but it's still asking for that like i didnt installed it. how to fix that???

3. i have a WLAN on the laptop and it won't, work button on the laptop jused for turning the WLAN on doesn't work.how to fix it????

if there is anyone who can help i would grateful.
mestar
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: a couple problems on ubuntu

Post by mischief on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:05 pm
([msg=19263]see Re: a couple problems on ubuntu[/msg])

for all these problems, you should probably check out the channel #ubuntu on irc.freenode.net which you can visit using any IRC client or mibbit. they are a great help and there are lots of people there.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by mestar on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:12 am
([msg=19321]see Re: a couple problems on ubuntu[/msg])

mischief wrote:for all these problems, you should probably check out the channel #ubuntu on irc.freenode.net which you can visit using any IRC client or mibbit. they are a great help and there are lots of people there.

next time will do so, problems 1. and 3. are solved, as for 2. will try to fix it alone
mestar
New User
New User

Post by aNewHobby4me on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:42 am
([msg=19323]see Re: a couple problems on ubuntu[/msg])

mestar wrote:2. i have a vodafone moblie connect card on the laptop, and for that to work i need a driver. which driver is the best and where can i find it?

http://www.google.com/linux is a good search tool for things Linux related.

http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&safe= ... tnG=Search

Looks like others have had your problem before you...hopefully they solved it. Good luck!
"To understand recursion you must first understand recursion."
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Post by Defience on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:21 am
([msg=19331]see Re: a couple problems on ubuntu[/msg])

You can also try http://ubuntuforums.org
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by mestar on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:14 am
([msg=19419]see Re: a couple problems on ubuntu[/msg])

i have tried it all, but nothing.

i got a driver and installed it succesfully, but now when i start it nothing, it starts loading and then stops
i tried two drivers, and they bought stop at the same point.

drivers:
vodafone-mobile-connect_1.99.17-8_all.deb
vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux-2.0.beta3-ALL-i386-installer.run

i tried googling and i'm a memmber of ubuntu forum so i went there first, but also nothing.

people have had the same problem but now solution(well i couldn't find one so fare ), so now i'm stuck!!!!

i'm at the point where i'll try anything, and i am listening to any suggestions and/or ideas.

-- Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:09 am --

EDIT

I'm now successfully connected to the Internet using my vodafone mobile connect card.

just to say that Ubuntu 8.10 ((Intrepid Ibex) has a network manager that SUPPORTS 3G connects(mobile cards), so NO additional software is needed.

but being hasty :roll: i didn't sow the mobile connect tab in network manager :D until today when my LAN connection for some reason failed, as i was fixing it i noticed that bar, and well from there on it was down hill.
mestar
New User
New User

Return to *nix