Ubuntu or Fedora Core?

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Ubuntu or Fedora Core?

Post by LoudAssNinja on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:13 am
([msg=8878]see Ubuntu or Fedora Core?[/msg])

I was reading up alot about the flavors in linux becuase that's the OS I want over Windows (for obvious reasons), however I stumble upon ubuntu and Fedora Core and they both sounded great to me. I was wondering really which is better for someone starting off their first Linux/Unix platform? I wanted to know because for when I go back to school I'm taking Systems and Applications, and for the final on that, they give you all the parts and you frankenstein your own PC (which you can keep eve). So I wanted to move away from windows and run on something different.

I've also heard that Linux and Unix flavors are better for programming because of their open source so anyone can start working on it. Also I've heard of the better security.

But my last question is, if I do get a linux/unix ready machine. Will alot of the viruses like trojans and worms not affect me as much? I know that's true for Mac's but I thought linux and unix was based off of the windows platform at one time so. Then again I have not too much of an idea about that. So I know for sure there's a huge chance I'm wrong.
So what happens when you apply Schroedinger's cat, to a ninja?
LoudAssNinja
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Ubuntu or Fedora Core?

Post by Sonic7145 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:25 pm
([msg=8896]see Re: Ubuntu or Fedora Core?[/msg])

I'm relatively new to Ubuntu, but it seems like it's the best choice if you're new to Unix. So far, it's user friendly and quite similar to Windows. As far as I know, there are much less viruses and such for Ubuntu than for Windows.
Sonic7145
Poster
Poster

Post by sas01 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:51 am
([msg=8939]see Re: Ubuntu or Fedora Core?[/msg])

The largest difference you'll see between Fedora Core and Ubuntu is the fact that Ubuntu uses .deb and Fedora uses .rpm.

You'll also notice that the two operating systems have very different philosophies behind them, while Fedora Core is an offshoot from the Red Hat Corporation (thus driven by corporate goals), Ubuntu is more community orientated albeit with company backing from Canconical.

After that it's just a matter of personal preference.
sas01
New User
New User

Post by atrius on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:46 am
([msg=9274]see Re: Ubuntu or Fedora Core?[/msg])

Ubuntu and Fedora have a few slight differences in their directory structure and service's - Ubuntu is geared more towards the "windows-like-users" and as such is easier to use.

Personally, i'd go for Fedora every time - its my personal favourite (and the OS im using now).
atrius
New User
New User

Post by beagle on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:01 pm
([msg=9374]see Re: Ubuntu or Fedora Core?[/msg])

atrius wrote:its my personal favourite (and the OS im using now).

I'd go for Fedora too. I'm also using it, and it just seems more user-friendly.
beagle
Poster
Poster

Post by fly3rbug on Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:08 pm
([msg=9618]see Re: Ubuntu or Fedora Core?[/msg])

LoudAssNinja wrote:Will alot of the viruses like trojans and worms not affect me as much? I know that's true for Mac's but I thought linux and unix was based off of the windows platform at one time so. Then again I have not too much of an idea about that. So I know for sure there's a huge chance I'm wrong.

There are practically no viruses, worms or Trojans for an up to date linux. I myself use Ubuntu, i have used fedora but i suggest for a new user to start Ubuntu. The main reason for that is that the community is bigger, so if you have questions they will be answered on the ubuntu forum within minutes. And it is more user friendly.

And just one more thing linux kernel was never based on windows. In fact linux is based on Unix.
I could ramble on about why linux is better however i recently found a nice website that explained it all.
try http://www.ubuntustory.com
fly3rbug
New User
New User

Post by beagle on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:06 pm
([msg=9694]see Re: Ubuntu or Fedora Core?[/msg])

fly3rbug wrote:I could ramble on about why linux is better

Me, too. I've bored all my friends half to death talking about how much better Linux is then Windows.
beagle
Poster
Poster

Post by LoudAssNinja on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:39 pm
([msg=9725]see Re: Ubuntu or Fedora Core?[/msg])

I've actually never found software talk boring. I'm actually planning to major in software engineering once I go to College. :D
But at anyrate thank you for all the info, and its nice to know that the linux kernel was never based off of Windows. So once I get my new pc I'll put Ubuntu right on there and guess once I get use to that, I can maybe dual boot Fedora Core right? Unfortuanately My experience in programming, doesn't make me any smarter with systems. >:(
So what happens when you apply Schroedinger's cat, to a ninja?
LoudAssNinja
New User
New User

Post by ysNoi on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:14 am
([msg=10355]see Re: Ubuntu or Fedora Core?[/msg])

I would personally go with Ubuntu... Well, you can see its beuaty if you try it..! And you will really be amazed that its really far from Windows..! No more worries for viruses, good desktop effects and more. :D :D
ysNoi
New User
New User

Return to *nix