does it matter?

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

does it matter?

Post by xX_DoT_Xx on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:28 am
([msg=8695]see does it matter?[/msg])

hey guys :) i was wonding if it mattered which nix i used? i just requested a ubuntu cd from their website, but i was wondering if theres a difference between that and redhat, fedora, debian, etc?
xX_DoT_Xx
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: does it matter?

Post by sas01 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:24 am
([msg=8761]see Re: does it matter?[/msg])

Well of course it matters, that's like saying you've got a poodle but was wondering if it's the same as a bulldog. Sure, they're both dogs but very different.

Ubuntu is probably the most user friendly linux distro you'll get, just about everything is point and click, you get lots of help, no confusing errors and is extremely like windows.

Redhat is pretty friendly too but it uses rpm packages instead of deb packages. Confused? Debian is one of the older linux distros and created the debian package, ubuntu inherited this as it's based on Debian.

Redhat uses its own proprietary package system (rpm) and is a complete pain when you find a closed source proggy that you like and find that it's only available as an rpm.

So yeah Ubuntu will start you off and after a while you'll probably choose to move onto Debian or Gentoo or BackTrack or whatever...
sas01
New User
New User

Post by fly3rbug on Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:51 pm
([msg=9623]see Re: does it matter?[/msg])

xX_DoT_Xx wrote:hey guys :) i was wonding if it mattered which nix i used? i just requested a ubuntu cd from their website, but i was wondering if theres a difference between that and redhat, fedora, debian, etc?

Its good that u requested the ubuntu cd. I myself am an Ubuntu user so welcome to the community.

However sas01 is right it matters alot. He already explained the most important, however i would like to add that ubuntu has the biggest community and that questions on the ubuntu forum are answered in minutes.

Also try visiting http://www.ubuntustory.com
fly3rbug
New User
New User

Post by beagle on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:01 pm
([msg=9675]see Re: does it matter?[/msg])

I feel so alone! I use Fedora Core.
beagle
Poster
Poster

Return to *nix