I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.

Post by KthProg on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:00 am
([msg=73115]see I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.[/msg])

It's awesome.
and it runs waaaay faster since its made to run on pc tablet combinations.
takes less memory than windows 7 too
easier to use
probably be better for development especially on a laptop where you don't have as much control.
Be jelly.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.

Post by NewVoxel on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:31 am
([msg=73132]see Re: I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.[/msg])

Good to know.
"Don't include a single line in your code which you could not explain to your grandmother in a matter of two minutes."

And of course... assume your grandmother is not Ada Lovelace.

http://www.newvoxel.com/
NewVoxel
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:40 am
([msg=73137]see Re: I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.[/msg])

I agree. Best windows os yet. Fast, slim, and productive.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by WallShadow on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:15 pm
([msg=73187]see Re: I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.[/msg])

Wait just a minute here. Everyone ridiculing Windows 8 as crap, and here you are saying that it's awsome? Please elaborate...
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 pm
([msg=73195]see Re: I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.[/msg])

Why are people ridiculing windows 8? Because they've never used it and they don't like the idea of liking something new and sleek looking.

Those people are fucktards and are just following the crowd. Windows 8 is amazing. It's fast, uses a lot less memory, more secure, and extremely easy to use and move around in. It's not ALL metro. The desktop is still there. Plus dual monitors in win8 is SUPER slick.

WIth an ssd, I get boot in 1 second flat. No joke.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by centip3de on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:45 pm
([msg=73204]see Re: I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:Wait just a minute here. Everyone ridiculing Windows 8 as crap, and here you are saying that it's awsome? Please elaborate...

Operating systems are all based on opinion. Some people prefer #!, some people prefer Ubuntu, some prefer Arch, and some prefer Gentoo. This doesn't mean that any new OS is bad, it just means that they prefer something different. This extends out to Windows OS's as well; I personally think Windows 8 is a complete piece of shit in every conceivable way (don't even get me started on Metro or UEFI), but that doesn't mean that it's a bad Operating System, it's just not for me.

fashizzlepop wrote:Why are people ridiculing windows 8? Because they've never used it and they don't like the idea of liking something new and sleek looking.Those people are fucktards and are just following the crowd. Windows 8 is amazing. It's fast, uses a lot less memory, more secure, and extremely easy to use and move around in. It's not ALL metro. The desktop is still there. Plus dual monitors in win8 is SUPER slick. WIth an ssd, I get boot in 1 second flat. No joke.

You do realize that you're doing the same thing as those who are on the opposite side of the argument are doing, right? You have to at the very least present both sides of the argument, and then let the other person make an informed decision for what's best for them. Especially with someone who obviously hasn't had enough experience to make an informed decision for themselves.

KthProg wrote:probably be better for development especially on a laptop where you don't have as much control.

How do you not have as much control on a laptop? Really, besides the mouse, it's the same thing (and you can even add a mouse to it). Besides, once Windows has a good CLI (my God, could they have picked a more ugly font and a more difficult program/set of commands to work with?), and has native VIM (not gVim) ported, I'll think about developing on it.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by KthProg on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:29 pm
([msg=73207]see Re: I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.[/msg])

lol i wrote that late at night I have no idea what I meant by 'less control'
But it is easier to use.
and it takes way less processing power and memory.
the things is windows really did something different this time, keeping everything in squares like on a windows phone and utilizing space like apps do on a phone or tablet -- like hiding menus until your mouse hovers to a corner of the screen -- allows you to be way more productive.
the design is also, as fashizzlepop says, really sleek.
I cant imagine why people are knocking it.
seriously IMO it has outdone every other OS now at least from a ease-of-use -- and thus productivity -- standpoint and other companies will no doubt release similar OSs in the future.
I do think Windows jumped into it early without fully exploring the potential, but I think that was just a smart business decision because this is probably the future of OSs.

I mean this is day two and I already am using the internet explorer app 24/7, I haven't even considered touching the full application. This is just too nice lol
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 pm
([msg=73214]see Re: I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.[/msg])

c3nt, have you tried using Metro (I think it's called something else now)? I thought that it was going to be a disaster at first as well, but after using it it grows on you. Besides, you only have to *rarely* use it. Most work is still done on the desktop (which is faster then win7) and Metro is only used as a replacement for the start menu. The best part is it's faster and smarter than the old start menu.

As UEFI, what's the problem with that? The point of it is to prevent rootkits and it does a very good job of it. It doesn't always necessarily mean that you are locked into windows. It means that you *know* there is a secure pass between BIOS and your OS.

Of course developing on windows or using the CLI is still just as bad as before, but of course most people don't use it for that. For what people *do* usually use it for, it does well.

That's just my opinion of course and I don't mean to be a know it all, I truly appreciate other views on this. I just feel like *everyone* who hates win8 hasn't even given it any chance.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by weekend hacker on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:45 pm
([msg=73217]see Re: I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Why are people ridiculing windows 8? Because they've never used it and they don't like the idea of liking something new and sleek looking.

I uninstalled it the other day. Its fast I'll give you that but I don't really like the interface. Where you see sleek I see shit, and to add to the insult its almost as if anything that could actually benefit from this type of interface doesn't use it.
I've been testing for a couple of months and besides games often crashing and the horrible interface its okay but totally not worth replacing my debian and especially not if I have to pay for it(I like to have a totally legit OS).

So those that are ridiculing win8.. they're right. Those that are loving it.. they're also right.
But both are right in totally different ways.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KthProg on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:22 am
([msg=73218]see Re: I just got Windows 8. Be jelly. Be very jelly.[/msg])

I think you're right in that it doesn't fully take advantage of the possibilities.
its like a windows 8 windows 7 montage rather than its own operating system.
but I really think this is because they were trying to enter the market early.
they didn't fully develop the OS and they assumed people would like something familiar and in that regard they were wrong,
but to me it's an improvement to the windows 7 interface.
I would hate to go back to windows 7, it's just too static and plain.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Microsoft Windows