New To Dual Booting

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

New To Dual Booting

Post by Nostalgiia on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:27 pm
([msg=53570]see New To Dual Booting[/msg])

Hey, i just got done shrinking my C: drive and formatting a U: drive, but before i installed ubuntu onto U:, i was wondering if there was anything else i should/need to do before hand. I've never attempted to run 2 os's on one computer before.
Thanks in advance for you help.
p.s. on C: is win7

\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
Nostalgiia
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New To Dual Booting

Post by mShred on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:35 pm
([msg=53573]see Re: New To Dual Booting[/msg])

That should be good. All you need to do is partition the drive. And run the installer to install on that drive. But with Ubuntu, i'm pretty sure you don't need to partition the drive. The latest version will give you an option to install next to existing operating systems. Choose that and then choose the amount of space for each. Then after that, Ubuntu will partition and format the drive, and install it. Simple as that.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Nostalgiia on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 pm
([msg=53600]see Re: New To Dual Booting[/msg])

alright cool, thanks, just didn't want to fail up my C: drive, you know? I've read places that windows was a control freak, but i figured if they were on separate partitions, that it wouldn't matter, but i didn't know.
thanks again.

\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
Nostalgiia
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:34 pm
([msg=53605]see Re: New To Dual Booting[/msg])

Ubuntu will not be able to use U: if you formatted it with NTFS. You may as well just erase U: and leave it as empty space. Ubuntu will find it and ask you if you want to install side by side.

Also, make sure you backup you Windows just in case something gets FUBAR.

When you install Windows as the second OS it WILL attempt to take control of the bootloader; with Ubuntu being installed second you should have no worries.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Return to Microsoft Windows