Windows 7

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Re: Windows 7

Post by thetan on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:46 pm
([msg=41686]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

the native Windows PowerShell is an interesting utility as well.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by tgoe on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:55 am
([msg=41785]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

UWIN is pretty good. The first thing I do on Windows is fire up ksh. I've never tried it with Windows 7 though, but it might be worth a shot.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by irontoaster on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:03 am
([msg=44722]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

I have only dabbled a tiny bit with *nix OS's. It's on my to-do list. I HATE OSX. I was happy with WINXP for a long time but i'm running WIN7ultimate exclusively now and love it. Since I'm only really starting to get into programming now (and using mostly .net languages anyway) I'm going to hold off using *nix until I have room for multiple systems and money to buy them with.
irontoaster
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:21 am
([msg=44723]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

irontoaster wrote:I have only dabbled a tiny bit with *nix OS's. It's on my to-do list. I HATE OSX. I was happy with WINXP for a long time but i'm running WIN7ultimate exclusively now and love it. Since I'm only really starting to get into programming now (and using mostly .net languages anyway) I'm going to hold off using *nix until I have room for multiple systems and money to buy them with.

This man (boy?) knows his [censored]. Love windows 7, hate macs, run linux or open/freebsd occasionally. The hacker law.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:43 pm
([msg=44927]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

BS. I run Arch Linux full time and only 7 Pro when I need iTunes.

Fyi. Linux is FREE... For the most part.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Jake-X on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:41 pm
([msg=50703]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

IMO, XP>7>Vista. I use 7, and it's definitely better than Vista, but I kinda think XP might be a bit better, although I don't have enough experience to say for certain.
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:34 am
([msg=50757]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

"better" depends on your computers specs mostly. The more modern the computer, the more likely you will like 7 over XP.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by s0fa on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:19 am
([msg=51832]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

Just to getting this discussion active again - sorry for my nekrophilia:
IMO, XP>7>Vista. I use 7, and it's definitely better than Vista, but I kinda think XP might be a bit better, although I don't have enough experience to say for certain.

I think that's some personal impression because when you look on the 'hard facts' (concerning technical details, not performance!) you will see that Windows 7 is better than Windows XP. I could type the following text myself but I think copy & paste would be better for understanding it because of my lack of technical English (I am just going to post them short and sweet, if you are interested in details I would advise technet.):
  • Improved performance on Multi-Core-Platforms
  • Optimized configuration for SolidStateDisks
  • Support for virtual hard disks
  • Multi-Touch-Support
  • Better support for things like "Crossfire" (two or more graphic adapters)
  • Improved boot performance
  • Improved support for biometrics
  • Improved group policies & distribution-guidelines

Things interesting for developers:
For developers, Windows 7 includes a new networking API with support for building SOAP-based web services in native code (as opposed to .NET-based WCF web services),[52] new features to shorten application install times, reduced UAC prompts, simplified development of installation packages,[53] and improved globalization support through a new Extended Linguistic Services API.[54] At WinHEC 2008 Microsoft announced that color depths of 30-bit and 48-bit would be supported in Windows 7 along with the wide color gamut scRGB (which for HDMI 1.3 can be converted and output as xvYCC). The video modes supported in Windows 7 are 16-bit sRGB, 24-bit sRGB, 30-bit sRGB, 30-bit with extended color gamut sRGB, and 48-bit scRGB.[55][56] Microsoft has also implemented better support for solid-state drives,[57] including the new TRIM command, and Windows 7 is able to identify a solid-state drive uniquely. Microsoft is planning to support USB 3.0 in a subsequent patch, support not being included in the initial release due to delays in the finalization of the standard.[58]

I would bet that there have been a lot changes on the kernel also but this goes beyond my current knowledge. I have technical reference for Windows 7 in my bookcase, but I'm too damn lazy to look inside it now. *grin*
"The individual is defined only by his relationship to the world and to other individuals; he exists only by transcending himself, and his freedom can be achieved only through the freedom of others." - Simone de Beauvoir
s0fa
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:48 pm
([msg=51879]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

Thanks for that post. I will check out that site too.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Previous

Return to Microsoft Windows