Windows XP Tweak Not Working

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Windows XP Tweak Not Working

Post by Bren2010 on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:52 pm
([msg=18363]see Windows XP Tweak Not Working[/msg])

I created my own file type (.pro) and I use it allot on my computer. Is there any way to add it to the new menu (Right click on desktop, new, my file). I already tried going to regedit. I created a key in the file type called ShellNew and created a string called NullFile, but that doesn't work. Can anyone help me?
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Windows XP Tweak Not Working

Post by Andomis on Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:15 pm
([msg=18366]see Re: Windows XP Tweak Not Working[/msg])

This has to be done in an elaborate way but its easy.

First create a blank file through the application whose filetype you want to add in the right click menu.Save it in the C:\Windows\ShellNew folder with any name.

Then Go to START-->RUN type REGEDIT

here u ll find a folder named "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT"
click on the '+' sign to its left. You will have a long list of all extensions available in your system. Select the extension of your file( For example if you want a photoshop file, Your extension is .psd). Once you have selected your extension, right click on that and click on New--> Key. This will get you a new key. Rename it to "ShellNew". Right click on "ShellNew" and select New-->String Value. This will create a new string value on the right pane.

Rename that string value as "FileName". Double click on this and change the Value Data to the path and the filename
(Eg: C:\Windows\ShellNew\new.psd). Click OK and press F5. U r Done. Restart ur system to see your new enlisted item

Taken from Yahoo.com by ALMIGHTY.

This should work.

Alive,
Andomis
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by YayPython on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:17 pm
([msg=21719]see Re: Windows XP Tweak Not Working[/msg])

What's the filetype for, a program you wrote?
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Andomis on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:25 pm
([msg=21819]see Re: Windows XP Tweak Not Working[/msg])

That is correct YayPython.
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Microsoft Windows