Internet Restrictions

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Internet Restrictions

Post by Adaam on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:29 am
([msg=17097]see Internet Restrictions[/msg])

Hey,
I was wondering, being a noobie to all this, if their is some program that can be ran from a memory pen that can basically bypass internet restrictions at my college. I doknow that they lock a list of websites through certain words (i think). This is gathered through what i have been told from network admin's, although i want a way to get past this. Especially when they block some bloody helpful sites when i actually want to do some work and not mess around with games and whatever.

Any help appreciated.
Adaam
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Internet Restrictions

Post by Andomis on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:47 pm
([msg=17100]see Re: Internet Restrictions[/msg])

Hi Adaam,

I would suggest researching the following topics:

Proxies
Foreign Proxies (from other countries)
How to use Proxies
Pendrive Browsers (firefox, etc...)

(through google perferably)

If you have troubles, ask more questions, but please attempt to learn on your own first- then come back for guidance.

Here is a decent introduction to what proxies are, http://proxy.org/. The site should be safe.

Alive,
Andomis
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Adaam on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:58 pm
([msg=17101]see Re: Internet Restrictions[/msg])

Cheers, i was kind of hoping for guidance from here instead of a straight answer as i enjoy looking for the information, even though it can sometimes be misleading :)
Thanks for the point in the right direction mate.
Adaam
New User
New User

Post by Andomis on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:20 pm
([msg=17104]see Re: Internet Restrictions[/msg])

Hey Adaam,

Just a word of caution, Do not enter in any personal information, credit/debit card information, or other generically important data in over a proxy. You do not know how secure every proxy is, or if it is malicious. I like to think that they are all safe and sound, but you must always practice safety habits.

Once again the site I gave you, appears safe- and the main proxy choice on that page appears the same- but once again don't enter in personal info.

Alot of network or security teams will block out specific proxies, or national proxies. So you will find that some work, and some dont. Normally ones that dont work are going to be the ones of your own language at work- hence forth, foreign language proxies will by pass the blocks.

I am sure you can figure it out from here, but again- if you need help- just ask.

Alive,
Andomis
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Adaam on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:46 pm
([msg=17119]see Re: Internet Restrictions[/msg])

Right, be careful with proxies. They may not be safe discovering them yourself. Gotcha.
I should like to think that the Proxy the school's ISP uses would be safe and sound though? I have friends that have logged into play.com accounts and such, if it wasn't safe would that suggest their data could be stored somewhere, or even used?
Adaam
New User
New User

Post by sidebottom on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:05 pm
([msg=17124]see Re: Internet Restrictions[/msg])

NOTHING you send over the internet is ever safe.
sidebottom
Poster
Poster

Return to Microsoft Windows