Vista to Windows 7

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Vista to Windows 7

Post by Mafia_JJ on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:13 pm
([msg=16142]see Vista to Windows 7[/msg])

Well my OS was vista, and I wanted to try Windows 7. So I installed it that over night and now I am wondering where I can get my activation code at on my pc? Thank you for reading.
Mafia_JJ
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Vista to Windows 7

Post by Andomis on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:11 pm
([msg=16212]see Re: Vista to Windows 7[/msg])

I did not clearly understand what you were asking, but I will answer all three possibilities.

1.) You want to find your original Vista Activation code. This would be either located on the CD, the CD Cover, the back of the User Manual, or on the side of the machine it was preloaded on.

2.) You want to activate a Alpha copy of Windows 7 32 bit. Go to http://www.blogsdna.com/1903/download-w ... beta-1.htm and download the patch/bruteforce key injector.

You can get the same patch for 64 bit as well from that same site, or alter one of the batch files in the most up to date version for the 32 bit, and it will activate 64 bit.

3.) You want to activate a Beta copy of Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit. I am assuming you got this off the actual microsoft website and downloaded it legally. If this is the case then you should have recieved a email with an activation code in it. Otherwise you can attempt to use the same method as in #2, if you decided to torrent the software... not sure why you would though.

Hope this helps!

Alive,
Andomis

-- Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:15 pm --

Oh and just a forewarning, All Alpha and Beta copies of Win7 will be unusable after April 30th. This can be extended 90 days using the crack for it, also included in the activator mentioned above in part 2. I would suggest reinstalling Windows Vista, and using a form of Virtual machine to host your copy of Win7 so that you do not have data loss, or need assistance later trying to fix your situation. Windows 7 is awesome, and a huge preformance upgrade over Vista, however it is NOT a suiteable OS for actual use yet outside of Testing.
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Mafia_JJ on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:49 pm
([msg=16227]see Re: Vista to Windows 7[/msg])

Thanks for the reply, but what I ment was how can I get vista back on my pc if it dint come with the disc? It came with it installed and after august 1st windows 7 ends. Is there a way I can burn one?
Mafia_JJ
New User
New User

Post by thejollyrogerx on Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:44 pm
([msg=16355]see Re: Vista to Windows 7[/msg])

Hi there, new here and hope to learn a shitload more about computers and hacking then I know now, to answer your question only around 3 brands of computers now a days come with restore cds , otherwise they have a program installed by the manufacturer to let you make one. If you completely wiped vista and im assuming you did since your asking about how to reinstall it, quite frankly your shit out of luck. Unless you made restore cds with the program before you installed Windows 7, you can't do much other than get a cracked version of basic or premium. I say basic only because there is a program in circulation that changes your license to ultimate for free and it isn't hard to find. I'm just too lazy to look or find out what it is called.

P.S the 3 companies that i am talking about are Dell, Toshiba, and Asus.
thejollyrogerx
New User
New User

Post by TheMindRapist on Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:47 pm
([msg=16531]see Re: Vista to Windows 7[/msg])

/thread
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Andomis on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:51 am
([msg=16562]see Re: Vista to Windows 7[/msg])

Actually almost every company that sells computers currently has a form of recovery. ACER, Asus, Lenovo (IBM), Gateway (MPC branch - just went bankrupt a bit ago though...), Toshiba, HP, SunM all have a burnable DVD/CD combo to reset your computer to its default settings. Brands like Pre-MPC/Acer owned Gateway or Dell have a restore Partition- Accessable by hitting fn+f11 on bootup, older models are alt+f11 or ctrl+f11 depending.

Luckly for you, most companies have a "customer is right" policy. I had a problem occur awhile back where I had my friends HDD go out (*wink wink*), the Dell machine was out of warrenty, but I got a HDD for him (*again.. wink..*)- then called Dell and asked if I could get restore disks for his computer because the HDD had failed (*cough..). No further questions were asked- and he recieved a copy the next day (how nice of them to over night DVD's..)

I will suggest an additional three more answers:

1.) If the computer is still under warrenty, download the latest GWscan.iso and burn it to a disk. Boot with it, and write zeros (erase all ur personal data from the HDD)- full run not quick. Then take the hdd.. and drop it a few times, preferably running if you have the hardware to do that remotely with out damaging any other parts of your computer. Aka external power source protected by a surge protector. To test the damage of the HDD, you can boot to the GWscan disk again, and try to run a HDD scan (writes code in the boot sector of the HDD telling it what sectors of the HDD to ignore when read/writing- sufficently correcting 60% of normal physical damage that can be caused by physical abuse. Damage the HDD until it says it is unfixable. Take it into the store where you got the computer and get a replacement, they will get you a copy of windows with it. **Backup your data first to something else, and make sure it is under warrenty!**

2.) If the computer is out of warrenty, you could also just call in and ask the brand name company if they would send you a new copy because yours was "corrupt" and not booting- you tried to fix it but it wont work and you never got a windows cd to run a windows repair. (they will probably send you a copy then, plus no hardware damage!)

3.) Find a copy of windows, say an enterprise version that requires no cd key/activation key from your favorite place to hangout... (the web).

Switch to Linux. :) (okay I lied... 4 :P )

Personally Id try 2, then 4... Sometimes just being upfront and asking will get the job done. If they sense BS they will avoid helping you. Confidence.

Alive,
Andomis

**Disclaimer... Do these actions at your own risk, think them out properly before hand, and ask more questions and give us more information before you make your choice of action. Once you have taken action, we can probably help you no further**
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Microsoft Windows