What version of Windows is the Worst?

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

What version of Windows is the Worst?

Windows DOS
3%
Windows 95
4%
Windows 98
3%
Windows 2000
No votes
Windows ME
39%
Windows NT
2%
Windows XP
1%
Windows Vista
48%

Total votes : 96

Re: What version of Windows is the Worst?

Post by beagle on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:27 am
([msg=9915]see Re: What version of Windows is the Worst?[/msg])

Actually, Windows Vista reminds me a lot of the Mac OS X. It has the same overall theme.
beagle
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Sharmz on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:23 am
([msg=9974]see Re: What version of Windows is the Worst?[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:If Apple had released Vista then the response would be something along the lines of "OMFGGG!!!1 APPLE > M$$$!!!! WOW!!!!!" etc.Microsoft is great at what it does. Linux is great too at what it does. Mac is just shit. ::mrgreen::

More and more people I know are buying Macs and they all seem to love it. Even Macs have plus points, I don't like Macs too much personally but they too are good at what they do. For entertainment purposes its probably better. Apple hardware now fused with Intel as well is very powerful. Software is slowly getting more and more compatible with Macs. Personally I think the best thing you can do if you have a computer powerful enough (and most are) is dual boot a distro of Linux and Xp, maybe even Vista. People argue that there are plenty of viruses for Windows and that Macs are virtually immune but anyone can protect themselves from Malware, its just that people aren't wise enough to. Using Linux there are even less threats but you can easily protect a PC running Vista.

IMO Apple is better off making music players and phones than making computers.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one."
-Bill Gates
Sharmz
New User
New User

Post by nosidius on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:04 am
([msg=10314]see Re: What version of Windows is the Worst?[/msg])

0.0 mac pro! (no i don't have one, but i would like one)
give me knowledge or give me death
nosidius
Poster
Poster

Post by thedotmaster on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:16 pm
([msg=10389]see Re: What version of Windows is the Worst?[/msg])

nosidius wrote:0.0 mac pro! (no i don't have one, but i would like one)

I have an equation for macs.
Mac = (Unix - good stuff) + Shiny Graphics + Pretentious Snobs + 5(Expensive Software)
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by fly3rbug on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:28 am
([msg=10714]see Re: What version of Windows is the Worst?[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:I have an equation for macs.
Mac = (Unix - good stuff) + Shiny Graphics + Pretentious Snobs + 5(Expensive Software)

Windows = (Thousands of viruses) + crappy software;

if ( Mac.isBetterThan(Windows) ){
println("Mac still rules over windows");
}
fly3rbug
New User
New User

Post by zackfett1337 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:13 pm
([msg=10717]see Re: What version of Windows is the Worst?[/msg])

i am [i]using[i] millenium, and i hate it but i did a few things to make running it seem a little more enjoyable:
i installed firefox
i changed my wallpaper
i downloaded a program to change my folder icons
i got a DLL and i used it and now i can use basic shells for vista and XP (im using the vista one)
and i got new icons and cursors
zackfett1337
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:03 am
([msg=10747]see Re: What version of Windows is the Worst?[/msg])

fly3rbug wrote:
thedotmaster wrote:I have an equation for macs.

Windows = (Thousands of viruses) + crappy software;

if ( Mac.isBetterThan(Windows) ){
println("Mac still rules over windows");
}

Windows has the main advantage that there is LOADS of software available for it. I can go onto download.com and get so much software right now. The disadvantage is that it costs and is pretty insecure if you don't take steps to secure it or are a general dumbass.
Linux has the advantage that it's powerful, fast, secure and has a great bash and is FREE. The disadvantage - it's more complicated and the number of popular apps are reduced.
Now then, Mac: It's got reduced software (yes, I know it can get Microsoft Office!!!!!) but it still has a good deal less software (Oh, and no not all the software you need is included - if all the software you need is included then I guess you are quite conservative in your computing). It is also slower due to the flashy graphics (as windows is too), has buggy software (as windows has too!) but costs how much more?

A gold turd is STILL A TURD.

Windows is good, Linux is good, Mac is ok.
Now at the end of the day, does it matter? If you like using Mac because you think it is superior to other OSs, then you use it. But getting caught up in these OS wars gets us nowhere.
Personally I hate the snobbery of Apple "Oh we're so much better than Windows" - well guess who sells the most copies of their OS? Linux aren't snobbish - it's free after all - but they just get down to work and produce one hell of an OS.

Anyway, that's my take on it.
and crappy software on Windows..? That's just because there's so much of it - and in my time of downloading a good amount, I've rarely come across software that is buggy. Rarely.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by TobiasGray on Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:33 pm
([msg=10852]see Re: What version of Windows is the Worst?[/msg])

I'm not going to join in the Windows v. Mac debate going on here; I have both a Windows PC (Vista Home Premium) and a MacBook (OSX Leopard), and they both work just fine. In my honest opinion, Vista has severe flaws throughout, but I was also expecting a lot more from Leopard from the hype it got. Windows for offices, and Macs for entertainment, that's my opinion, anyway.

However there is undoubtedly no worse OS than Windows ME. I had this on my second ever PC, and to be brutally honest, it just wasn't ready. Windows just pushed what was basically a beta XP before the turn of the century for the extra marketing hype, and it just didn't work. I still have this PC; little eMachines thing it was, and it still works, but it just doesn't work, compared to Leopard or Vista, if you know what I mean? XP was definitely the most thought out version, and I'm sure many people agree, but Vista does have the better GUI.
"This is the worst day of my life."

"Correction, the worst day of your life so far"

- Homer Simpson
TobiasGray
New User
New User

Post by baddestmfckr on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:38 pm
([msg=10892]see Re: What version of Windows is the Worst?[/msg])

without a doubt - vista. never seen so much crap in one place :mrgreen:
baddestmfckr
New User
New User

Post by willtheoct on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:30 pm
([msg=10898]see Re: What version of Windows is the Worst?[/msg])

i have to say a tie between windows 98 and windows XP home edition.

windows 98 had massive graphical problems(not being able to switch color modes, loading too many images on certain programs like XW would crash). and very frequent blue screens(hope you've seen bill gates presenting win98).

windows XP home edition was just way too slow. i mean terrible slow. i mean awful terrible horrible shivering mind numbing slow. my sis runs on home edition with a computer twice my specs, lowest resolution, no malware problems, 16-bit color, and runs about one eighth as fast as my win2k on 1024*768 res, 32-bit, 2 firewalls, 3 large adware outbreaks(vundo, which caused them to be at the same speed, but i got rid of it), MSN, xfire, bluesoleil, and a bunch of other crap running. safe mode was the fastest for the computer, but it was terrible and was even then a bit slower than mine.
willtheoct
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft Windows