rip windows xp

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

rip windows xp

Post by pretentious on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:09 am
([msg=80176]see rip windows xp[/msg])

so security updates and support for windows experience are finally being culled.
what are your thoughts? feelings? do you think there will be a fallout due to the undying popularity of the os?
I've been meaning to upgrade my parents aystem for like a month :?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: rip windows xp

Post by 0phidian on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:01 pm
([msg=80180]see Re: rip windows xp[/msg])

It's about time, gtfo xp.
Edit: I'm sure plenty of people will continue to run it anyway. I've noticed pretty much everywhere that has upgraded have gone with 7. Windows 7 will prolly become the new xp.

pretentious wrote:I've been meaning to upgrade my parents aystem for like a month :?

I had my parents running ubuntu for a year or two, until their hardware finally died and they had get a new computer with win8.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by pretentious on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:55 pm
([msg=80185]see Re: rip windows xp[/msg])

0phidian wrote:Edit: I'm sure plenty of people will continue to run it anyway. I've noticed pretty much everywhere that has upgraded have gone with 7. Windows 7 will prolly become the new xp.

My work still uses xp for most computers, though it runs all web traffic through firewalls and proxies etc so it might avoid some dangers out in the wild. I am curious to see how bad shit goes down in the future :twisted:
0phidian wrote:I had my parents running ubuntu for a year or two, until their hardware finally died and they had get a new computer with win8.

My parent's hardware is fine and probably wont break any time soon since they don't use it much so I'm gonna throw linux on it and be like 'there's the web, there's the word processor, knock yourselves out'
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:41 am
([msg=80187]see Re: rip windows xp[/msg])

First off, a triple post? Really? Come on, you're better than that.

Anywho, I'm not entirely sure WinXP exploits will increase all that much now that it's not supported. Though my memory is a bit sketchy, I don't think something similar happened when Win 95 was no longer supported, although WinXP is far more widely used today than Win 95 was back in the day. But either way, I'm sure the results will be interesting.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by pretentious on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:27 am
([msg=80200]see Re: rip windows xp[/msg])

I was browsing HTS on my phone in a single tab and going back and forth resubmitted the post. Rookie mistake i know ;)
I'm supprised that no one thinks this is as big a deal as I do haha
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH204937
symantec is pretty chilled on the matter but as i'm sure everyone is aware
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/04/08/windows-xp-support-ends-today-but-its-still-used-by-everywhere-from-governments-to-atms/
Lots of very important institutions still use it and even though they aren't neccesarily exposed to the internet directly, I recon it's a big enough target.
Here's me hoping for mayhem :D

pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cyberdrain on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:08 am
([msg=80204]see Re: rip windows xp[/msg])

Haven't seen any problems on Windows 98 the first time, though the world wasn't as much on-line then. We'll see, I think dangerous bugs like Heartbleed have more of an impact than the end of XP ever will have. Combine the two (dangerous bug that will not be patched) and you definitely have a problem, so who knows...
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Microsoft Windows